Same puzzle on NZHerald website

All about puzzles in newspapers, magazines, and books

Same puzzle on NZHerald website

Postby Condor » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:48 pm

The same puzzle was put on the http://www.nzherald.co.nz/ website for November 12th and 14th.

Code: Select all
. 8 3   . 7 9   . . .
. 1 .   2 . .   . . 8
. . 2   5 . .   . . .

. 2 1   3 . .   . . 4
. . 9   . 1 .   8 . .
7 . .   . . 8   1 2 .

. . .   . . 5   6 . .
2 . .   . . 3   . 4 .
. . .   8 9 .   7 1 .

It was listed as hard on the 12th and easy on the 14th.

As I didn't get the paper on the 12th missed the puzzle for that day. So could someone post the puzzle for the 12th. This puzzle is quite easy so I am sure it was the one for the 14th.
Condor

Postby Pappocom » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:49 pm

I wrote to the New Zealand Herald, and finally got a reply today. They apologized and said they had just posted the wrong image. They say they corrected it shortly afterwards.

I'm not in New Zealand, so I don't know which puzzle they printed on the 12th. I give newspapers freedom about which puzzle to print on which day. I don't operate like most syndicators that issue one puzzle, world-wide, labelled for a given day, so that every paper that takes the puzzle prints the same one each day. With Pappocom Sudoku puzzles, each paper gets its a limited-circulation stream of puzzles, which in most cases is shared by only 5 newspapers or magazines world-wide.

The upside to this is that you are most unlikely to come across the same puzzle in multiple publications. In New Zealand, for example, you can do the puzzle in the New Zealand Herald in the morning, catch a plane to Christchurch and do a different puzzle in the Press in the afternoon.

The downside is that I can't tell you what puzzle a newspaper printed on any given day.

Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience (and the slowness of this reply).

- Wayne
Pappocom

re: New Zealand Herald - 2005.Nov.12

Postby Pat » Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:56 am

New Zealand Herald
2005.Nov.12

Code: Select all
 4 5 . | . . . | . . 9
 . . . | . . 9 | . 7 .
 . 7 . | 3 . . | 6 . 8
-------+-------+------
 . 4 . | 2 1 . | . . .
 . . . | 8 . 5 | . . .
 . . . | . 3 7 | . 5 .
-------+-------+------
 1 . 6 | . . 8 | . 4 .
 . 2 . | 6 . . | . . .
 3 . . | . . . | . 9 6

Hard [ 26 clues ]

- Pat
Pat

Postby Condor » Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:46 am

Thanks Pappocom and Pat

I just remembered last week that the Auckland Central Library has a newspaper room with all the heralds for the last 2 months. I had just made a copy from there when I find Pat has posted the puzzle for the 12th here.

Pappocom, you have also answered a question I had (I think). I was wondering if you kept an archive of all the puzzles that are published. It would make a nice set of sudbook files.
Condor

Postby Pappocom » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:41 am

I have copies of every puzzle that has ever been sent to any newspaper.

However, when it comes to publishing books, I have a feeling that buyers like to hear that the puzzles in the book are completely new (that is, are never-before published), rather than hearing that the puzzles are a reprint of all the puzzles which have appeared in a certain paper.

If anyone has a different view, I'd be pleased to hear from you.

- Wayne
Pappocom

re: all the puzzles which have appeared in a certain paper

Postby Pat » Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:24 pm

Pappocom wrote:When it comes to publishing books, I have a feeling that buyers like to hear that the puzzles in the book are completely new (that is, are never-before published), rather than hearing that the puzzles are a reprint of all the puzzles which have appeared in a certain paper.

example: i'm sufficiently obsessive that i would've liked to have solved the full set of "Fiendish" puzzles from The Times, but i'm missing the early months (2004.Nov-2005.Feb).

can't say how this would do as a commercial product, though.

Condor wrote:Pappocom, you have also answered a question I had (I think). I was wondering if you kept an archive of all the puzzles that are published. It would make a nice set of sudbook files.

Condor:
Pappocom has invested much time and effort,
and presumably would like to get something in return
rather than release his puzzles as sudbook files.

- Pat
Pat

Return to Published puzzles