Reformatting a PM

Programs which generate, solve, and analyze Sudoku puzzles

Reformatting a PM

Postby Luke » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:28 pm

I'm looking for a program that can reformat the type of PM's seen in this forum to the ole "81-digit-straight-line-format." Any bright ideas?
Luke
2015 Supporter

Postby tarek » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:59 am

Several solvers do accept the PMs ....

Not sure how many would give you the 81 line format from the PM ...

for a GUI ... have you tried JSUDOKU ???

tarek
tarek

Postby udosuk » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:15 am

Speaking for myself I'll probably use a spreadsheet. But then again, not everyone is as proficient as me using Excel.:)

Like tarek suggested JSudoku is best for this task, as it has the option to automatically export all puzzle states into the single line format.

Also Simple Sudoku can import a PM and then export into a large block of various text formats, one of them is equivalent to a puzzle grid (well you can't distinguish between the solved cells and the original clues). Using the "replace all" feature in Notepad/Word etc it's very easy to transform the grid into the single line format.:idea:
udosuk

Re: Reformatting a PM

Postby daj95376 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:37 am

Luke451 wrote:I'm looking for a program that can reformat the type of PM's seen in this forum to the ole "81-digit-straight-line-format." Any bright ideas?

I presume you are prepared to lose eliminations in the PM that won't be transferred to the 81-character format.

I recall a discussion in the Programmers Forum awhile back about how to (compactly) store the full PM information into a single line of information. What caught my attention about this method was that the first 81 characters were usable as input to most solvers.
daj95376
2014 Supporter

Postby Pat » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:55 am

Luke451 wrote:I'm looking for a program that can reformat the type of PM's seen in this forum to the ole "81-digit-straight-line-format." Any bright ideas?

gsf's software does accept most "pencilmark" forms
    sudoku -f%v <pencilmarks.TXT >puzzles.TXT
Pat

Re: Reformatting a PM

Postby Luke » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:55 am

daj95376 wrote:

I presume you are prepared to lose eliminations in the PM that won't be transferred to the 81-character format.

Yes, I'd have to some editing.

I use an on-line solver that only accepts the 81 digits, so it's a bother to try to input a PM manually. A program like SimpleSudoku will accept a cut and paste of any PM, very cool. It won't reformat to 81 digits, though, so I'm looking for a program that does.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.
Luke
2015 Supporter

Postby hobiwan » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:52 pm

SudoCue can do exactly what you want, all you have to do is change a few options in Extra|Options|Copy: Uncheck "New line after each row", "Wide spacing between cells" and "Draw box outlines".
hobiwan
2012 Supporter

Postby Luke » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:08 pm

hobiwan wrote:SudoCue can do exactly what you want, all you have to do is change a few options in Extra|Options|Copy: Uncheck "New line after each row", "Wide spacing between cells" and "Draw box outlines".

Worked beautifully. Don't know how you figured that out, but thanks very much for doing so. My version has "Tools" instead of "Extra." The rest was as you said.:)
Luke
2015 Supporter

Return to Software