Reflections on Good Friday

All about puzzles in newspapers, magazines, and books

Reflections on Good Friday

Postby Bernard Stay » Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:57 pm

Though nowadays one needs a calendar to tell one what day it is, that reminiscent thought plus the ever-present reminder that I am now in my eightieth decade led to a certain ponder. How good do we think So Doku is as a prophylactic to stave off Altzheimers and/or other evils of age? How does it compare to the Times Crossword or the Mephisto? Crosswords demand a wider range of skills, but So Doku perhaps more concentrated mental effort. Might be difficult to do a conclusive study, and I don't suppose anyone is volunteering to do that.

I have only been defeated twice (boast, boast!) by the Times So Doku since they started to publish, once mainly because of careless copying, the second (which I am more ashamed of) when I clearly had a blind spot towards my top right. How long can this continue I wonder?

Sorry to take up your attention with rather off-topic meanderings. I really ought to get out more.
Bernard Stay

Postby Bernard Stay » Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:13 pm

I hasten to correct that 'eightieth' to 'eighth' before someone thinks the days of Methuselah have returned! Or concludes that Su Doku isn't really very effective against mental decline.
Bernard Stay

Postby sudokuNick » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:06 pm

I can't comment on whether it staves off Alzheimers, though my Mother's an Occupational Therapist and does use sudoku puzzles with the elderly.

But as you mentioned you need a calendar to remember what day it is, why not get a 2006 Times Daily Sudoku Calendar? Then you can get your daily sudoku fix and remember the day!

(though of course, the date is always at the top of your newspaper!:D )

http://www.sudokushop.com/product_info.php/cPath/26/products_id/37
sudokuNick

Return to Published puzzles