Recommendations for IPad used Offline

Programs which generate, solve, and analyze Sudoku puzzles

Recommendations for IPad used Offline

Postby daj95376 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:46 pm

I don't own an IPad and I don't know anything about them.

My uncle buys hardware/software because he's bored and curious. He has an IPad that's used in a minimal way through a router to his Comcast server because he doesn't want to sign up with a cell phone company. My aunt doesn't like her brother's computer, so she does Sudoku puzzles with pencil-'n-paper and spends a lot of time spreading "eraser dust". However, she does like his IPad. Is there a very user-friendly Sudoku program for the IPad that's comparable to Simple Sudoku? Can it be loaded once into the IPad instead of being used over a cell phone connection?

Thanks, Danny A. Jones
daj95376
2014 Supporter

Re: Recommendations for IPad used Offline

Postby ronk » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:34 pm

daj95376 wrote:Is there a very user-friendly Sudoku program for the IPad that's comparable to Simple Sudoku? Can it be loaded once into the IPad instead of being used over a cell phone connection?

Our own Jason Linhart has an app called enjoysudoku. I like it a lot, but it briefly accesses Jason's server via my wi-fi network to get the next puzzle. I guess it would do the same via a cellphone network, were the wi-fi network not available. Not exactly what you're looking for, but it's the only iPad app I'm familiar with.
ronk
2012 Supporter

Postby daj95376 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:50 pm

ronk wrote:Our own Jason Linhart has an app called enjoysudoku. I like it a lot, but it briefly accesses Jason's server via my wi-fi network to get the next puzzle. I guess it would do the same via a cellphone network, were the wi-fi network not available. Not exactly what you're looking for, but it's the only iPad app I'm familiar with.

Thanks Ron,

This may just meet my needs perfectly. When I'm visiting my aunt and (her brother) my uncle, I connect to the internet using his router and the Wi-Fi connection on my laptop. It's very possible that his IPad uses the same Wi-Fi access. If so, then Jason's app might be perfect.

Thanks Again, Danny
daj95376
2014 Supporter

Postby enxio27 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:48 pm

I don't know whether these are available for iThings, but I found several Android apps that I really like. First is 1gravity's Sudoku 10'000, Sudoku4Ever, and SudokuGrab'n'Play, and Andoku/Andoku2 by Markus Wiederkehr. I also have Enjoy Sudoku, but prefer the interface of the others.
enxio27

Postby JasonLion » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:10 am

EnjoySudoku does not require a network connection. It will use the network if it is available, but it will generate puzzles directly on the iPad/iPhone when no network connection is available.
JasonLion
2017 Supporter

Postby daj95376 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:21 am

JasonLion wrote:EnjoySudoku does not require a network connection. It will use the network if it is available, but it will generate puzzles directly on the iPad/iPhone when no network connection is available.

Thanks Jason,

It sounds better every minute. I've already gotten the ball rolling on getting it installed on my uncle's IPad. However, when my family/relatives are involved, nothing is "simple". _ :D _

Regards, Danny
daj95376
2014 Supporter

Cut & paste of puzzles in Enjoy Sudoku

Postby ronk » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:56 pm

Jason, is it possible to copy a puzzle in text form and paste it into Enjoy Sudoku? Is the answer as simple as upgrading the free version I'm using?
ronk
2012 Supporter

Postby JasonLion » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:11 pm

The paid version, :) Sudoku +, does indeed support cut and paste, the free versions do not. A variety of formats are recognized, though only regular digits are allowed in the pasted puzzles. You can't paste a puzzle with pencil marks.
JasonLion
2017 Supporter

Return to Software