Rating standard

Everything about Sudoku that doesn't fit in one of the other sections

Rating standard

Postby lerxst » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:55 am

Is there any standard rating system for Sudoku puzzles? If not, what's the "de facto" solver used to rate Sudoku puzzles by most people?

I'm on Windows and, for now, I can only use and would prefer an executable that can "bulk rate" puzzles.

Thanks!
lerxst

Re: Rating standard

Postby JasonLion » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:26 pm

There is no standard. I don't believe that it is even possible to develop a standard. There are a number of different rating programs in common usage. The most popular is probably the rating function of Sudoku Explainer. Unfortunately, it is fairly slow. There is a command line batch version here, search for 'serate' towards the bottom of the page.
JasonLion
2017 Supporter

Re: Rating standard

Postby ronk » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:51 pm

lerxst wrote:Is there any standard rating system for Sudoku puzzles? If not, what's the "de facto" solver used to rate Sudoku puzzles by most people?

I'm on Windows and, for now, I can only use and would prefer an executable that can "bulk rate" puzzles.

tarek posted a nice summary of ratings programs here back in Jan 2009. Not much has changed since then. All are invoked from the Windows command-prompt window ... and all are capable of rating puzzles in "bulk."
ronk
2012 Supporter

Return to General