Rankings

Everything about Sudoku that doesn't fit in one of the other sections

Rankings

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Fri May 06, 2005 4:57 pm

I don't know why this matters because it's only a game, I suppose it's my own curiousity, but I'd like to know where I stand should there be any way of ranking players (if you will).

I've worked my way up from the Daily Mail puzzles - now so easy as to be tedious - to doing the Fiendish puzzles from the book. However, as previously stated, it takes me days to solve any given one of them - usually. This I enjoy in a sadistic kind of way (if I'm allowed to say that on this forum!) and I feel immensely satisfied with myself when I do achieve this.

The only reason I do the puzzle at all is for personal enjoyment, but having seen that Carol Vorderman - all round high IQ and Mensa member - say she gets the Fiendish ones done in an hour and a half (I did that just once) does that leave me somewhat lacking in the solving Soduko's department?

What would the 'credentials' be of an expert player? The ability to solve any puzzle put before them in a set, very short time? In the event there was a Puzzlers Playoff (say), what would be the entry requirements and how would the competition be structured? Would the players be graded or seeded (and how would you do that)?

I'd be interested to know. It's a game, not an IQ test but I'd still like to know whereabouts I'd be ranked, if there was a ranking system.

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby simes » Fri May 06, 2005 11:11 pm

OK, I admit it -- I've never solved a sudoku puzzle, and doing so just doesn't interest me. But, as an ex cryptic crossword fan, I can well understand the satisfaction others gain from solving one.

My personal pleasure is from writing a program that can solve them, and "explain" how it solved it.

But, to give my opinion on your question...

Why worry about it? In the general scheme of things, some people will always be able to solve it faster than you, and many will take much longer. Just because Ms V says she does it in an hour and a half is no reason to feel inadequate - I doubt I have the tenacity to finish one at all, so you're certainly ahead of me in the solving ranking.
simes

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Sat May 07, 2005 10:20 pm

I know that you're right I just soooo want to be good at this, I really do.

Then again, I'm very disappointed by the puzzles that I can easily achieve and they bore me, to the point that I don't bother, so I'm caught between a rock and a hard place.

I have absolutely no idea why this is important to me, I really don't. This type of thing doesn't normally bother me, it's weird.

Anyway, thanks for your opinion Simes, I appreciate it.

BTW how can you write a solver without having first solved the puzzle? *my curiousity getting the better of me here*

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby Guest » Sun May 08, 2005 11:56 am

I know where you're coming from Luna, I am a little obsessed too :o)

To answer your question about writing a solver - I understand perfectly how to play snooker, I know all the rules, and many useful tactics, and could probably write a very good simulation if I wanted to. But can I pot more than two balls in one break? That's a different question entirely!

Postby simes » Sun May 08, 2005 10:17 pm

lunababy_moonchild wrote:BTW how can you write a solver without having first solved the puzzle?

Just by understanding the rules and techniques that you need to use to solve the puzzle. I can understand the logic, without actually using it to solve a puzzle.

(IJ is way ahead of me here though, he (or she?) actually invented a new solving rule - hereafter known as a Jacko, see http://www.setbb.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=22&mforum=sudoku.)
simes

Postby Guest » Sun May 08, 2005 10:52 pm

Luna,

I meant to mention - maybe you should try the time trial....

http://forum.enjoysudoku.com/viewtopic.php?t=57

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Mon May 09, 2005 1:21 pm

Simes, yes I see what you mean, now. I'll have to study that new rule before I get the hang of it though, thanks for letting me know.

IJ, I know about the time trial but have yet to purchase the program, so will have to sit on the sidelines for now.

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby Guest » Mon May 09, 2005 5:40 pm

I wouldn't worry about that rule - It's just a curiosity really. I've only ever seen it in one puzzle, and it wasn't even necessary to use it then.

As for the time trial, you could down load the library file and open it in Notepad - the puzzles are very obvious (Surrounded by <question> </question>). Or you can down load the trial version of the program, and use that - that's what I did.

Postby simes » Tue May 10, 2005 7:01 am

Sorry Luna, I wasn't saying "go and learn this rule immediately". I was just pointing out that there are far cleverer people here than me. I figured out the simple rules, as I guess we all did, but some people go way beyond that to places I can barely follow. I reckon if you can solve these puzzles at all, you're way ahead of the majority of the population.

IJ, pointing to your rule was intended as a compliment... even though I haven't figured it out yet!
simes

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Tue May 10, 2005 8:37 am

Simes

I didn't take it that way at all and I'm glad you pointed it out because I like to be aware of everything that I can be aware of. It was my shorthand way of saying that it required more thought on my part (I'm number blind so all of the more sophisticated rules - like x wings etc. - require me to think more deeply about them than the average person) before I venture forth with an opinion. My apologies for the confusion:) I took it exactly the way you intended.

And I will figure it out eventually!

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby Chris » Sat May 14, 2005 6:18 pm

I've just completed one of the "Very Hard" puzzles on wonderful the Su Doku program that Mr Gould created (you can buy it via the homepage) in 25 mins 09 secs which amazed me. The thing is, I've no idea if I could do it twice. It usually takes me between half an houor and two hours, sometimes longer if I finish at all with fiendish/very hard puzzles.
Chris

Return to General