Puzzle Book or Other Daily source Of Harder Puzzles

All about puzzles in newspapers, magazines, and books

Puzzle Book or Other Daily source Of Harder Puzzles

Postby Pinot2022 » Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:04 pm

I am looking for a book or other daily source of puzzles, most of which require medium to moderately difficult techniques. When I say "medium to moderately difficult" techniques, by this I mean techniques like the use of x wing; xy wing and xy loops; xyz wing; the occasional simple swordfish, as well as, the standard hidden singles, doubles, triples and quadruples, naked singles and naked doubles If there are some easy puzzles in the book, that's ok, as long as there are plenty of the more difficult ones. What I would really like, is a book of more difficult puzzles that indicate the various techniques that each puzzle may require. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Pinot2022

Re: Puzzle Book or Other Daily source Of Harder Puzzles

Postby eleven » Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:06 pm

If you cannot find a site with daily puzzles of that hardness (e.g. many online newspapers have sudokus, with harder ones at the weekend, or look for "very hard" classic in the archive of dailysudoku), you can download hodoku and let it generate them. In the Mode Practising you can choose, with which technique(s) you want them to be solvable.
eleven

Postby Pinot2022 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:44 pm

Wow! This sounds like a great tool! Thanks so much for the tip! I have been a longtime fan of the NYT "hard" sudokus, but have recently grown tired of the limited solving techniques they require (it has been my experience that the these "hard" puzzles top out at the X Wing in terms of advanced techniques). I have since tried several books from Amazon which describe themselves as Hard to Very Hard and have been greatly disappointed, either because they were no more difficult than the typical NYT Hard, or full of "colouring" or forced chains, which I have yet to develop an appetite for. I have failed to find a single book among the hundreds on Amazon which provide information on the techniques required to solve their puzzles and have drawn the conclusion that the books on Amazon are, for the most part, computer generated and produced with making a quick buck in mind, rather than satisfying their readers. Sorry to ramble! Thanks again!
Pinot2022

Postby Pinot2022 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:08 pm

Thanks again for your suggestions! I have ordered a copy of the Advanced sudoku book mentioned in the link you provided!
Pinot2022

Postby Pinot2022 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:21 pm

One more time, thank you! I tried one of the "hard" sudoku puzzles from the daily archive as you suggested and it was exactly what I was looking for! So glad I found this site!
Pinot2022

Return to Published puzzles