[Pappocom software] Problems when downloading prerequisites

Programs which generate, solve, and analyze Sudoku puzzles

[Pappocom software] Problems when downloading prerequisites

Postby Pappocom » Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:46 pm

A small number of users (less than one-fifth of 1%) may experience difficulties in downloading one or more of the prerequisites.

The most commonly needed prerequisites are Microsoft XML 4.0 Service Pack 2; and Microsoft MDAC 2.8.

If the Sudoku installation program will not download the prerequisites for you, you can get the files "manually" from the Internet, using the instructions below. Then, when you run the Sudoku installation program again, you will bypass the Prerequisites page because your computer will already have the files it needs.

However, if you need Microsoft Installer 2.0, make sure you install that first.

This is how to get the files you need. It might look formiddable, but there's a lot of repetition. Do things in this order:

FIRST: If you need Microsoft Installer 2.0 (but ONLY if you need Installer):

EITHER 1. If you have Windows NT 4.0 or Windows 2000:
A. Go online and enter the address:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4b6140f9-2d36-4977-8fa1-6f8a0f5dca8f&displaylang=en&Hash=QYQWNK8
(That’s a long address. Make sure that the full underlined part gets entered into your browser.)
B. The file you need to download is called "InstMsiW.exe". It is the top one in the group of 3 listed at the bottom of the page. Just click on the link for "InstMsiW.exe". The file size is 1781 (or 1.73 MB). It will take a while to download, especially if you do not have a broadband connection.
C. Click Save and download the file to a directory on your computer.
D. When it's on your computer, Run the InstMsiW.exe file. If you don't click the Run button (recommended), you could instead find the file on your computer and double-click on the filename.
E. Instal the Windows Installer 2.0 package according to the instructions given.

OR 2. If you have Windows 98 or Windows Me:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=CEBBACD8-C094-4255-B702-DE3BB768148F
(That’s a long address. Make sure that the full underlined part gets entered into your browser.)
B. The file you need to download is called "InstMsiA.exe". It is the top one in the group of 3 listed at the bottom of the page. Just click on the link for "InstMsiA.exe". The file size is 1670 (or 1.62 MB). It will take a while to download, especially if you do not have a broadband connection.
C. Click Save and download the file to a directory on your computer.
D. When it's on your computer, Run the InstMsiA.exe file. If you don't click the Run button (recommended), you could instead find the file on your computer and double-click on the filename.
E. Instal the Windows Installer 2.0 package according to the instructions given.

SECOND: If you need Microsoft XML 4.0 Service Pack 2 (but ONLY if you need XML 4 SP2):

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=3144b72b-b4f2-46da-b4b6-c5d7485f2b42&DisplayLang=en
(That's a long address. Make sure that the full underlined part gets entered into your browser.)
B. The file you need to download is called "msxml.msi". It is the top one in the group of 5 listed at the bottom of the page. Just click on the link for "msxml.msi". The file size is 5166 (or 5.04 MB). It will take a while to download.
C. Download the file to a directory on your computer.
D. When it's on your computer, Run the msxml.msi file. If you don't click the Run button (recommended), you could instead find the file on your computer and double-click on the filename.
E. Instal the XML package according to the instructions given. If you are given the opportunity for a Custom instal, say No. Go with the Typical or Normal instal.

THIRD: If you need Microsoft MDAC 2.8 (but ONLY if you need MDAC 2.8):

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=6c050fe3-c795-4b7d-b037-185d0506396c&DisplayLang=en
(Again, make sure that the full underlined part gets entered into your browser.)
B. The file you need to download is called "MDAC_TYP.EXE". It is 5427 KB, or about 5.29 MB. That's a big file. It's bigger than the 3.7 MB file that my installation program was trying to download for you, because this one is not compressed. Anyway, just click on the Download button in the top-right corner of the page.
C. Download the file to a directory on your computer.
D. When its on your computer, Run the MDAC_TYPE.EXE file. If you don't click the Run button (recommended), you could find the file on your computer and double-click on it.
E. Instal the MDAC 2.8 package according to the instructions given.

[END]
Last edited by Pappocom on Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pappocom

Administrator log-in

Postby barlowcj » Sun May 29, 2005 8:11 am

you may have to be logged in as administrator on your pc to be able to install pre-requisites. Depends on the settings for your user groups. I was having a problem installing them until I logged in as administrator.

Cheers
Chris
barlowcj

Downloading Prerequsites

Postby Paul B. » Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:10 am

I'm using Windows XP and I also having problems downloading MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2 when trying to install the game. When I go to Microsoft's web site it directs me to Window Installer 2. This download would not apply because supposedly this is already in XP and therefore it can't be installed. Help!!
Paul B.

Postby Pappocom » Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:19 am

Paul B. wrote:I'm using Windows XP and I also having problems downloading MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2 when trying to install the game. When I go to Microsoft's web site it directs me to Window Installer 2.

I'm not sure I understand the problem you have. If I click on the link under "SECOND/ A." (in my first post, above) I get taken to the correct page, and if I click on "msxml.msi" as instructed, it deals with XML, not with Windows Installer.

Could you clarify the problem, please?

- Wayne
Pappocom

error in prerequisite download

Postby nancydrum » Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:44 pm

I used your instructions to download and install the xml 4.0 Service pack 2, and downloaded msxml.msi.

When I tried to install msxml.msi I get the following error

"error during installation of the assembly component
{5617BF49-9195-4C35-B9AD-F8D165DE25BB}
HRESULT:0X80070002

Needless to say I have no idea what this means, or what to do about it - can anyone help me figure it out - would love to try this software

Nancy d
nancydrum

Postby Pappocom » Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:34 pm

It was a Microsoft site you were downloading from and it was a Microsoft product, so I think you will need to take it up with Microsoft. At least, it doesn't seem to be a Sudoku problem, anyway.

Presumably, there is something about the state of your Windows installation that the attempted installation of XML did not like.

- Wayne
Pappocom

Postby 9X9 » Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:19 pm

Pappocom - Looks like I'm one of the "less than one-fifth of 1%" too. I'm running on a bang up to date version of XP and can't download "Web Media:XMLRUN". Does this mean I need XML 4 SP2?

Please confirm and then I'll cross my fingers and follow your instructions for getting the files manually.
9X9

Postby Pappocom » Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:46 am

Yes, 9x9, you need Microsoft XML 4.0 Service Pack 2, which you can get from the Microsoft address given above.

- Wayne
Pappocom

Postby 9X9 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:39 pm

Pappocom - Tks. Wayne's "widget" works wonders! All now safely installed and running.
9X9

Unable to transfer program

Postby iris » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:52 pm

I purchased the download of Sudoku to my home computer where I do not have time to play during the workweek. My full intention was to copy the program and transfer it to the old Windows 98 computer at my mountain cabin where I would have time to enjoy the puzzle on weekends. Now I find I have to have Microsoft XML 4.0 Service Pack 2 to make the game run. My computer is in a mountain cabin with no access to Internet and I certainly don’t want to haul the old outdated computer to town. I have other games, which work just fine, and I am very disappointed in the outcome of Sudoku. Is there a way to solve this problem or did I just pour my money down a rat hole?
iris

Postby villandra » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:55 am

Iris:

You should be able to download the upgrade from the Internet, burn it to CD, and use that to install it on your mountain computer.
villandra

Error message trying to install on Windows NT

Postby villandra » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:59 am

The home page says that this program works on Windows NT version 4. At work I have Windows NT version 4. I took the Sudoku program and downloads of all four Windows prerequisites on a CD. But when I tried to install the Sudoku program, instead of asking for prerequisites, it told me that Sudoku cannot be installed on versions of Windows earlier than Windows 98.

Either it works on Windows NT version 4, or it doesn't. What is going on?

I sent myself a WORD document with screen shots showing teh version of Windows and the error message I got, as well as the contents of my CD I was installing from.

Yours,
Dora Smith
villandra

Return to Software