Printable blank grids

Advanced methods and approaches for solving Sudoku puzzles

Printable blank grids

Postby lizzy68 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:38 pm

Hi everybody

Could you direct me to a site where I could print blank grids, as sometimes I need a bit more space than found in the papers.
Regards. Elisabeth
lizzy68

Postby PaulIQ164 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:12 pm

If you poke around The Telegraph's rather pretentious website at www.sudoku.org.uk , I'm pretty certain you'll find some there.

Edit: the link on the right sidebar marked "sudoku worksheets".
PaulIQ164

Postby The Central Scrutinizer » Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:20 pm

Someone also posted a link to a pdf he or she made. It already has 1-9 in all 81 squares written in.

http://forum.enjoysudoku.com/viewtopic.php?t=1264

You'll love it! It's a way of life.
The Central Scrutinizer

Postby Doyle » Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:56 pm

Was easy to construct a blank grid in Word, using the Table funtions. Those functions have automatic equi-spacing capabilities, and you can vary the thickness of the lines (so the 3x3 boxes stand out). Anyone wants the file, email me (it's in my profile) and I'll send it to you.
Doyle

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:11 pm

Also very easy to construct a blank grid in Excel, which you can print out. As with Word you can make the grid lines thicker around the 3x3 boxes and you can make the squares any size you like.

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby The Central Scrutinizer » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:49 pm

Ever the draftsman, I made mine out of graph paper and (2) different thicknesses of Sharpie pen. I write the supplied numbers down in red pen.

If I can find some that erase well, I'm also toying with the idea of beginning to solve with a few different colored pencils. While explanations of the 'coloring' technique are something akin to Cantonese to me, I'm trying to figure out a way to visibly backtrack my progress. Being a member here has taught me that not only do you have to solve the puzzle, but you oughta be able to take someone else on a step-by-step journey of your solution.

Yeah, right. By the time I get done with a "Medium" or "Hard" puzzle, I've got so many eraser smudges and pencil smears on my paper, I really can't tell what was done when. I write down the major milestones that led me to my logic (e.g. Naked 2,8 in row 5).

I've also tried using a 'backslash' to cross out a possibility after reaching a certain point, but I don't always remember.

I'm thinking that trying a green, blue, black pencil to strike possibilities after major milestones might help with a roadmap. Just more tools to lug around in my backpack.

I've already had people give me looks on the train, with my big 8-1/2" x 11" Sudoku grid. Then again, it's probably the mumbling. A lady asked me yesterday which football pool I was working on.

"No, this isn't football, this is a puzzle," I said, showing her the little newsprint copy.

"What's all that for?" She replied, pointing to my worksheet. "Why don't you just do it in the paper?"

"It's pretty complicated," I explained. "I don't have enough room and this puzzle is hard."

"Well, what's the prize?" She asked.

"I'm sorry ma'am, what prize?"

"The prize. You know, for the contest."

"No, there's no contest, it's just a puzzle. They print these every day, just like the crosswords."

She thought for a second, "Well, anything that makes you work so hard ought to have a prize."

I thought about explaining the sense of satisfaction I feel when a Sudoku is solved, but I didn't bother. I didn't think she'd understand.

The worst part of that conversation is that she distracted me from my train of thought.
The Central Scrutinizer

Postby Dusty Chalk » Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:52 pm

The Central Scrutinizer wrote:I write the supplied numbers down in red pen.
I do this, too.
Dusty Chalk

Postby ramsdell » Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:11 am

The Central Scrutinizer wrote:Someone also posted a link to a pdf he or she made. It already has 1-9 in all 81 squares written in.

I posted the Sudoku Worksheet as a PDF file at http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/ramsdell/tools/sudoku.pdf. For those of who want to make changes, I just make the AWK script used to generated it available at
http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/ramsdell/tools/sudoku.awk.
ramsdell

Postby emm » Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:54 am

Thanks for this. I don’t like starting off with all those numbers when doing Sudokus myself - but I find your grid really good for working thru the strategies described by some of the far too intelligent people who write to this forum! So thanks.:)
emm

Postby linchi » Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:41 am

linchi

Return to Advanced solving techniques