please tell me my next move and why

Post the puzzle or solving technique that's causing you trouble and someone will help

please tell me my next move and why

Postby silveraider2 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:12 pm

xx895x42x
xxx81xx5x
x5624xx8x
6x51x4x3x
xxx6x5xxx
x1x3x9xx5
3915682xx
x8x4315xx
silveraider2

Postby daj95376 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:33 pm

Your next move is to read this message.

http://forum.enjoysudoku.com/viewtopic.php?t=2664
daj95376
2014 Supporter

Postby Bigtone53 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:40 pm

Silveraider,

Welcome to this forum.

Your puzzle as posted seems to have multiple solutions and is therefore invalid under the rules of the game as played here. It would be helpful if you could post the original puzzle and where you have got to. If you want help in posting, this link should assist.
Bigtone53

Postby daj95376 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:44 pm

Bigtone53 wrote:Your puzzle as posted seems to have multiple solutions ...

According to Simple Sudoku, the puzzle has one solution as presented.
daj95376
2014 Supporter

Postby hobiwan » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:31 pm

I agree with daj95376, the puzzle is valid.

silveraider2, you should take a closer look at the candidates for 9 in block 4. If you don't see it yourself, check the following: http://www.sudopedia.org/wiki/Locked_Candidates
hobiwan
2012 Supporter

Please tell me my next move and why.

Postby Cec » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:15 pm

When I joined the forum in 2005 I can well recall my dilemma in trying to understand the Forum's procedure for posting puzzles so I'm going to throw a life-bouy to Silveraider2 who only joined today.

Newcomers are often referred to this thread for procedures to post puzzles. Assuming Silveraider2 opened that thread the very first sentence (parts of which I have bolded) reads as follows...

You should only post your questions/problems in this section of the forum if you have a problem with an unpublished puzzle.

Assuming Silveraider2's puzzle is a published puzzle he/she would then have realized they had posted to the wrong section of the forum and so they posted to another section of the forum, viz. "Non-Pappocom" Puzzles which is what they were required to do as explained HERE

I hope Silveraider2 stays with us. I too "mucked up" when initially joining the forum and "copped" a blast or two which I accepted, though with some "inner" disappointment... I probably still make an idiot of myself at times:)

Cec
Cec

Re: Please tell me my next move and why.

Postby ronk » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:04 pm

Cec wrote:Assuming Silveraider2's puzzle is a published puzzle he/she would then have realized they had posted to the wrong section of the forum and so they posted to another section of the forum, viz. "Non-Pappocom" Puzzles which is what they were required to do as explained HERE

Now that Pappocom is longer associated with this forum, the published vs. non-published and Pappocom vs. non-Pappocom distinctions have no further purpose.

The Pappocom and non-Pappocom forums should be "locked" to prevent additional posting.
ronk
2012 Supporter

Postby Cec » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:36 am

ronk wrote:"....Now that Pappocom is longer associated with this forum, the published vs. non-published and Pappocom vs. non-Pappocom distinctions have no further purpose.

The Pappocom and non-Pappocom forums should be "locked" to prevent additional posting in those forums."

Hi ronk,

It seems my previous post was not worded clearly as I can't relate to the relevence of your reply. Hopefully I can better explain why I decided to 'throw a life-bouy" to Silveraider2.

After Silveraider2 posted their above puzzle it was suggested their "next move" should be to read the following thread explaining "How to ask for help".

http://forum.enjoysudoku.com/viewtopic.php?t=2664

That thread states that "You should only post your questions/problems in this section of the forum if you have a problem with an unpublished puzzle".The reader is then advised that "If it's a puzzle published in a (news)paper, magazine or book" (which presumably was the case for Silveraider2's puzzle) then "you should post your question in the category Sudoku: in papers and publications. (Read: not in here.)". A category of different publications is then listed which includes the "Non Pappocom" section of the forum to which Silveraider2 then reposted their puzzle Here which then prompted the following response from hobiwan...

hobiwan wrote:silveraider2, you already posted this puzzle in "Help with particular puzzles". Please direct all further requests to that thread

I agree with hobiwan's comments that there are some shortcomings by "silveraider2 in not following the suggested procedures for posting puzzles in a "user-friendly" way, eg. by including a pencilmark grid but he/she is a new member and, in my opinion, would have been left completely confused with the above anomolies as to which section of the forum they should post to.

I emphasize my comments are intended to be constructive in drawing attention to difficulties that new members may encounter when first posting to the forum. I'm not a computer guru but I have previously raised the question as to whether a blank grid could be displayed to assist new members to key in their puzzle.

Cec
Cec

Postby ronk » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:00 am

Cec wrote:
ronk wrote:"The Pappocom and non-Pappocom forums should be "locked" to prevent additional posting in those forums."

It seems my previous post was not worded clearly as I can't relate to the relevence of your reply. Hopefully I can better explain why I decided to 'throw a life-bouy" to Silveraider2.

Relevance: If two of the three possible help forums had been closed to further posting, you wouldn't (or shouldn't) have seen the need for your life-buoy.
ronk
2012 Supporter

re: organization of this website

Postby Pat » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:54 pm

Pat

Postby Cec » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:34 pm

ronk wrote:Relevance: If two of the three possible help forums had been closed to further posting, you wouldn't (or shouldn't) have seen the need for your life-buoy.

True, but the forums haven't been closed and the Sticky states that published puzzles can be posted to these forums which is what silveraider2 was advised to do but was then reprimanded. To me I thought this was harsh, particularly with silveraider2 being a newcomer.

Pat wrote:"...to everyone else:
    the original post was indeed in another Topic, where silveraider2 was advised that a question concerning a published puzzle should go in the Pappocom section ( or in the non-Pappocom section, as appropriate ) -- this advice follows the rules set forth in the sticky -- please don't blame silveraider2 for following the sticky and re-posting here ( though it should've gone in the Pappocom section )

Nice to know I'm not alone with my thinking!

Cec
Cec

Postby ronk » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:20 pm

Cec wrote:To me I thought this was harsh, particularly with silveraider2 being a newcomer.

I agree. Additionally, I was hinting -- in my apparently too subtle way -- that silveraider2 should not even have been told that "Help with particular puzzles" was the wrong forum.

With this post, I am through feeding your rant.
ronk
2012 Supporter

Postby RW » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:04 pm

Why on earth is that sticky still there? It should have been removed or edited ages ago. Not even Pappocom agreed on the rules described in the sticky:
Pappocom wrote:Questions about solving a puzzle in a Pappocom paper should really go in the "Help with Particular Puzzles" forum, but I'm not going to get worried if they are posted in "Pappocom Papers". It doesn't matter that much, does it?

Ruud, please edit or replace the sticky!

RW
RW
2010 Supporter

Postby Luke » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:56 am

Silveraider,

In regards to the puzzle, I'd first take Hobiwan's suggestion
re the 9's in block 4. From there, you have so many options,
but I'd say it would be a cool time to learn about "Unique Rectangles."

Click to enlarge

One is in yellow yellow, the other in pink.

See, among countless others,
http://www.scanraid.com/Unique_Rectangles

Good luck.

Luke in Ca
Luke
2015 Supporter

Return to Help with puzzles and solving techniques