Please help solve

Post the puzzle or solving technique that's causing you trouble and someone will help

Please help solve

Postby bigbretty81 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:48 pm

Hoping somebody out there can help with the second puzzle in the attachment. It's been baffling me for a while now, the first one is really easy to do and took a few minutes. on the first it has to have the letters B I N G O and the second has to have the letters G O L D R U S H in it
Attachments
Soduku.jpg
Soduku.jpg (35.58 KiB) Viewed 888 times
bigbretty81

Re: Please help solve

Postby Smythe Dakota » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:58 am

The letter O already appears in 7 of the 8 rows (and hence also, in 7 of the 8 columns), so the remaining O is easy.

Beyond that, I wonder if this is even a legitimate puzzle. There are only 2 each of G, L, S and only 1 each of D, R, U, H. This makes me think there are probably multiple solutions.

Bill Smythe
Smythe Dakota

Postby eleven » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:17 pm

There are obviously many solutions, i found this after adding (guessing) about 10 given characters:
Code: Select all
SRGOHDUL
LUHDSRGO
ULOHGSDR
GDRSLUOH
DOLGUHRS
RHSUDOLG
HGDROLSU
OSULRGHD

In rows147/cols23 you can see a deadly pattern
RG
DR
GD
which gives another solution by exchanging their columns:
Code: Select all
SGROHDUL
LUHDSRGO
ULOHGSDR
GRDSLUOH
DOLGUHRS
RHSUDOLG
HDGROLSU
OSULRGHD

Maybe there is an additional rule ?
eleven

Postby Smythe Dakota » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:20 am

Nah, just a bad puzzle. There are a lot of those out there. Take a look at kakuro.net, for example. Everything they publish, even the beginners' puzzles, have multiple solutions.

If you try to solve a puzzle with multiple solutions, without realizing it has multiple solutions, it will seem at first like an extremely hard puzzle, because logic will get you nowhere. You eventually have to guess, and more than one guess will turn out to be correct.

Those who publish puzzles, of any kind, with multiple solutions, ought to be -- well, never mind. Something or other at dawn.

Bill Smythe
Smythe Dakota

Postby enxio27 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:07 pm

Smythe Dakota wrote:Those who publish puzzles, of any kind, with multiple solutions, ought to be -- well, never mind. Something or other at dawn.

Agreed!!! :twisted:

And thanks to eleven for saving me the trouble of beating my head over this one any more than I did.
enxio27

Return to Help with puzzles and solving techniques