Pattern Game 35.62 GSF 7.0

Post puzzles for others to solve here.

Pattern Game 35.62 GSF 7.0

Postby ArkieTech » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:36 am

Code: Select all
 *-----------*
 |25.|...|...|
 |...|...|74.|
 |7..|.91|...|
 |---+---+---|
 |8..|1..|3..|
 |.4.|2.5|.1.|
 |..2|..3|..7|
 |---+---+---|
 |...|64.|..8|
 |.96|...|...|
 |...|...|.56|
 *-----------*
dan
User avatar
ArkieTech
 
Posts: 2659
Joined: 29 May 2006
Location: NW Arkansas USA

Re: Pattern Game 35.62 GSF 7.0

Postby pjb » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:05 am

Code: Select all
2      5      48     | 47     3      467    | 69     89     1     
19     36     19     | 58     25     268    | 7      4     a35     
7      36    c48     |d45     9      1      | 256   b38     235   
---------------------+----------------------+---------------------
8      7      59     | 1      6      49     | 3      2      45     
6      4      3      | 2      7      5      | 8      1      9     
59     1      2      | 49     8      3      | 45     6      7     
---------------------+----------------------+---------------------
135    2      157    | 6      4      79     | 19     379    8     
134    9      6      | 3578   125    278    | 124    37     234   
134    8      17     | 379    12     279    | 1249   5      6


XY chain:

(5=3)r2c9 - (3=8)r3c8 - (8=4)r3c3 - (4=5)r3c4; => r2c45, r3c79 <> 5, stte

(alternatively: (5=3)r2c9 - (3=458)r3c348)

Phil
Last edited by pjb on Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pjb
2014 Supporter
 
Posts: 1697
Joined: 11 September 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Pattern Game 35.62 GSF 7.0

Postby 7b53 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:43 am

first time participating, don't know how to write the notation.
so just say in words...

either r78c8=37 or r2c9=3 resulting r3c8, r8c9<>3 :D
Last edited by 7b53 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7b53
2012 Supporter
 
Posts: 156
Joined: 01 January 2012
Location: New York

Re: Pattern Game 35.62 GSF 7.0

Postby Leren » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:49 am

Code: Select all
*--------------------------------------------------------------*
| 2     5     48     | 47    3     467    | 69    89    1      |
| 19   b36    19     | 58    25    268    | 7     4    a35     |
| 7    c36    48     | 45    9     1      |d26-5  38    235    |
|--------------------+--------------------+--------------------|
| 8     7     59     | 1     6     49     | 3     2     45     |
| 6     4     3      | 2     7     5      | 8     1     9      |
| 59    1     2      | 49    8     3      | 45    6     7      |
|--------------------+--------------------+--------------------|
| 135   2     157    | 6     4     79     | 19    379   8      |
| 134   9     6      | 3578  125   278    | 124   37    234    |
| 134   8     17     | 379   12    279    | 1249  5     6      |
*--------------------------------------------------------------*


h-wing: (5=3) r2c9 - (3=6) r2c2 - r3c2 = r3c7 => r3c7 <> 5; stte

Leren
Leren
 
Posts: 2902
Joined: 03 June 2012

Re: Pattern Game 35.62 GSF 7.0

Postby tlanglet » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:03 pm

(6=3)r3c2-(3=8)r3c8-(89=96)r1c87 => r3c7<>6

Ted
tlanglet
2010 Supporter
 
Posts: 538
Joined: 29 May 2010

Re: Pattern Game 35.62 GSF 7.0

Postby Marty R. » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:05 am

pjb wrote:
Code: Select all
2      5      48     | 47     3      467    | 69     89     1     
19     36     19     | 58     25     268    | 7      4      a35     
7      36     c48    | d45    9      1      | 256    b38    235   
---------------------+----------------------+---------------------
8      7      59     | 1      6      49     | 3      2      45     
6      4      3      | 2      7      5      | 8      1      9     
59     1      2      | 49     8      3      | 45     6      7     
---------------------+----------------------+---------------------
135    2      157    | 6      4      79     | 19     379    8     
134    9      6      | 3578   125    278    | 124    37     234   
134    8      17     | 379    12     279    | 1249   5      6


XY chain:

(5=3)r2c9 - (3=8)r3c8 - (8=4)r3c3 - (4=5)r3c4; => r2c45, r3c79 <> 5, stte

(alternatively: (5=3)r2c9 - (458=3)r3c348)

Phil


Same XY-Chain.
Marty R.
 
Posts: 1420
Joined: 23 October 2012
Location: Rochester, New York, USA

Re: Pattern Game 35.62 GSF 7.0

Postby 7b53 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:10 pm

Code: Select all
*--------------------------------------------------------------*
| 2     5     48     | 47    3     467    | 69    89    1      |
| 19   b36    19     | 58    25    268    | 7     4    a35     |
| 7    c36    48     | 45    9     1      |d26-5  38    235    |
|--------------------+--------------------+--------------------|
| 8     7     59     | 1     6     49     | 3     2     45     |
| 6     4     3      | 2     7     5      | 8     1     9      |
| 59    1     2      | 49    8     3      | 45    6     7      |
|--------------------+--------------------+--------------------|
| 135   2     157    | 6     4     79     | 19    379   8      |
| 134   9     6      | 3578  125   278    | 124   37    234    |
| 134   8     17     | 379   12    279    | 1249  5     6      |
*--------------------------------------------------------------*

we can also say...
either r789c7=124 or r4c9=4 => r6c7, r8c9<>4
wondering how the notation should be written ? thanks
7b53
2012 Supporter
 
Posts: 156
Joined: 01 January 2012
Location: New York

Re: Pattern Game 35.62 GSF 7.0

Postby daj95376 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:05 pm

7b53 wrote:we can also say...
either r789c7=124 or r4c9=4 => r6c7, r8c9<>4
wondering how the notation should be written ? thanks

Since you failed to provide any indication of your logic, there's nothing to notate. However, here's one possible way to derive your results.

Code: Select all
 +--------------------------------------------------------------+
 |  2     5     48    |  47    3     467   |  69    89    1     |
 |  19    36    19    |  58    25    268   |  7     4     35    |
 |  7     36    48    |  45    9     1     |  256   38    235   |
 |--------------------+--------------------+--------------------|
 |  8     7     59    |  1     6     49    |  3     2     45    |
 |  6     4     3     |  2     7     5     |  8     1     9     |
 |  59    1     2     |  49    8     3     |  45    6     7     |
 |--------------------+--------------------+--------------------|
 |  135   2     157   |  6     4     79    |  19    379   8     |
 |  134   9     6     |  3578  125   278   |  124   37    234   |
 |  134   8     17    |  379   12    279   |  1249  5     6     |
 +--------------------------------------------------------------+
 # 61 eliminations remain

 (124=9)r789c7 - (9=6)r1c7 - r1c6 = r2c6 - (6=3)r2c2 - (3=5)r2c9 - (5=4)r4c9  =>  r8c9<>4

Or the ALS can be dropped and your result replaced with this chain:

Code: Select all
 (4=5)r4c9 - r2c9 = r2c45 - (5=4)r3c4 - (4=8)r3c3 - (8=3)r3c8 - r23c9 = (3)r8c9  =>  r8c9<>4

This is the first and last time that I'll fill in the blanks.
daj95376
2014 Supporter
 
Posts: 2624
Joined: 15 May 2006

Re: Pattern Game 35.62 GSF 7.0

Postby 7b53 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:29 pm

everyone write these notations kind of differently. that was the reason I asked.
which is the standard way ? or perhaps there is no standard way.
yours is nice and clear.

thank you ; daj
7b53
2012 Supporter
 
Posts: 156
Joined: 01 January 2012
Location: New York

Re: Pattern Game 35.62 GSF 7.0

Postby daj95376 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:23 pm

7b53 wrote:everyone write these notations kind of differently. that was the reason I asked.
which is the standard way ? or perhaps there is no standard way.
yours is nice and clear.

To me, the "notation standard" has evaporated into the cloud. Everyone likes to be cute and do whatever is necessary to bastardize the notation so they can compress their statements to where they're as compact as possible. This often involves creating an ALS expression instead of two or more simpler expressions -- especially when combining multiple bivalue cells in a house/unit. I expect to see any day now where an XY-Chain will be expressed as (X=X)list_of_cells. In fact, I may do it myself!
daj95376
2014 Supporter
 
Posts: 2624
Joined: 15 May 2006

Re: Pattern Game 35.62 GSF 7.0

Postby Marty R. » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:21 am

daj95376 wrote:
7b53 wrote:everyone write these notations kind of differently. that was the reason I asked.
which is the standard way ? or perhaps there is no standard way.
yours is nice and clear.

To me, the "notation standard" has evaporated into the cloud. Everyone likes to be cute and do whatever is necessary to bastardize the notation so they can compress their statements to where they're as compact as possible. This often involves creating an ALS expression instead of two or more simpler expressions -- especially when combining multiple bivalue cells in a house/unit. I expect to see any day now where an XY-Chain will be expressed as (X=X)list_of_cells. In fact, I may do it myself!


As a notation newcomer, I tend to agree, even if I might be guilty of some of the bastardization to which you refer. Just when I think I've learned something, someone does it differently and I have to learn it again.
Marty R.
 
Posts: 1420
Joined: 23 October 2012
Location: Rochester, New York, USA


Return to Puzzles