Paper or Program

Everything about Sudoku that doesn't fit in one of the other sections

Paper or Program

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Sun May 22, 2005 1:58 pm

So, puzzlers (is that a word?) do you think that solving using paper and pencil is easier or is using the Pappocom program easier?

I know that using a computer generated solver is the easiest method of all but I'm not talking about that, I just want to know if it's harder to solve on paper than on Wayne's Soduko program.

Luna
Last edited by lunababy_moonchild on Sun May 22, 2005 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
lunababy_moonchild

Postby Norb » Sun May 22, 2005 2:25 pm

Depends if I need to use pencilmarks

pencilmarks - program
in my head - paper

The ones in the newspaper I get (Manchester Evening News) are easy enough for me to do in my head

Obviously if I'm after doing an hour or two's sudoku, I'll use the program rather than print out

However the wife prefers me to print a batch out for her to do at her leisure
Norb

Postby Roz » Thu May 26, 2005 11:37 pm

Norb wrote:Depends if I need to use pencilmarks

pencilmarks - program
in my head - paper

I don't think I could possibly do them without pencilmarks:( , therefore I prefer the program.
Roz

ffgg

Postby Guest » Fri May 27, 2005 8:11 pm

NO

Postby jonallen1966 » Sun May 29, 2005 7:15 pm

If I use the computer program I would be too
tempted to cheat and get the solution!

I use computers all day, so I prefer to
just use pencil and paper.
jonallen1966

Postby IQ » Sun May 29, 2005 9:11 pm

Generally, I'd refer to use paper. Of course, it's probably easier to use Wayne's program, or even the program I made, recently, that only requires you to put in the numbers in the right places and click "solve" ;). But generally I'd solve them on paper.
IQ

Postby ebrannelly » Tue May 31, 2005 4:31 pm

Why use either program or pencil and paper - just use excel. Set it up and it checks it as well
ebrannelly

Postby abailes » Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:39 am

I have exactly such a thing which I would love other people to test for usability. I have advertised it on http://www.sudokubuddy.co.uk (N.B. I need to sort out this website properly rather than spending all my time solving puzzles). There are seven 'levels' of help, from nothing at all (but convenient boxes for notes and things) to giving you all the options in particular cells and allowing you to focus on the harder techniques yourself. It sometimes solves 'Fiendish' by itself, but rarely. I usually use Level 2 which just checks for error entries (e.g. double numbers in a row/column/box) but nothing else.

Just send me a message at andrew@sudokubuddy.co.uk if you want it. Don't worry about the fee listed on the website, I'd like to get some more people to test it right now.
abailes

Postby lobby__boy » Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:04 am

i don't have the program (only 17, no real means of getting it as of yet, anyone feeling charitable?), so i'm sticking with pen and paper myself. it's nice to have something to think about during school as well. pencil marks aren't bad on paper though, it gets a little annoying sometimes if the boxes are too small.
lobby__boy

Postby Lindy » Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:18 pm

I prefer paper. I like to carry magazines around with me and puzzle while travelling.
Lindy

Postby Roz » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:13 pm

lobby__boy wrote:i don't have the program (only 17, no real means of getting it as of yet, anyone feeling charitable?)

Don't forget the monthly contest on this page.
You might get lucky!:)
Roz

Postby lobby__boy » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:33 pm

hmm...i think i already entered this month (the puzzle looks familiar), but i'm not sure. is there any way i can check?
lobby__boy

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:20 am

I must say I'm surprised. I thought that it would be harder to solve on paper - the only means of checking being manually.

Thanks everybody for your replies.

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby lobby__boy » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:41 pm

manual isn't really all that bad. it takes all of like 1 minute...a breeze in comparison to doing the puzzle. see the topic about solving puzzles done on paper. it's under general/puzzle.
lobby__boy

Postby Pi » Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:11 pm

I like to do them using an excel spreadsheet that puts in the pencil marks for you, they aren't hard to make really.
Pi

Return to General