Other Japanese Puzzles - Where are they??

For fans of all other kinds of logic puzzles

Other Japanese Puzzles - Where are they??

Postby moggymidge » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:51 am

Does anyone know of any good web-sites that have the 'Bridges' puzzles (Hashiwokakero) or Loop-the-Loop/Slitherlink puzzles. I've looked at Puzzle.jp and Nikoli and Kwon-Tom-Loop (which I'd recommend by the way).

Even better, are there any books available out there with these puzzles in - I can't get enough!, and the monthly publications and paperbacks around only contain one or two of these great puzzles. Am I the only person who enjoys these types of puzzles????
moggymidge

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:34 pm

Well, you could try Amazon UK but the books that contain slitherlink are yet to be published (type slitherlink into the books section, I don't know why it won't post in the link).

Amazon UK

Other than where you've already been and plugging these puzzle names into your search engine - I'll bet you've done that - that's all I can suggest.

By the way, sudoku is all that I can handle (and sometimes not even that!), at the moment, anyway:D

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby Lindy » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:54 am

www.janko.at has lots of Slither Links and a few Hashi. I'm a book and magazine person, myself, so don't really know many websites.

Books are another matter, though. Have you seen the books for purchase on Nikoli's site? That's where I get mine from. One dedicated Hashi book is available (overdue for another one), and 17 dedicated Slitherlink books are available. Each book contains around 100 puzzles, apart from Slitherlink Freak which has 120 puzzles, some larger than in the other books. There is a most gigantic single sheet Slitherlink - have a look at that, if nothing else.:D

Lindy
Lindy

Postby moggymidge » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:10 pm

Thanks for the replies Luna and Lindy

I've considered buying from the Nikoli web-site but all the Yen-Pound conversion thing worries be a bit - but if it seems OK then I'll give it a try.

I'm with you Lindy, you can't beat good old fashioned books and pencils!!:D
moggymidge

Postby MCC » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:23 pm

You could also double-check any currency conversions on an independent web site if you're worried about it:D

MCC
MCC

Postby Sabreman64 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:35 am

Lindy wrote:Have you seen the books for purchase on Nikoli's site? That's where I get mine from. One dedicated Hashi book is available (overdue for another one), and 17 dedicated Slitherlink books are available.

It does seem odd that Nikoli have published so many Slitherlink books, but only one Bridges book. I thought Bridges was one of the most popular puzzles in Japan.
Sabreman64

Postby Lindy » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:42 pm

The Times "Japanese Logic Puzzles" book is now available. There are a few Hitori and Mosaic in it, but the majority are Hashi and Slitherlink, with 75 puzzles each.:)
Lindy

Postby moggymidge » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:50 am

Thanks Lindy - the order is already in with Amazon!!!!!:D

In case anyone else is interested Amazon also have "The Giant Book of Japanese Puzzles: Includes Sudoku, Super Sudoku, Slitherlink, Bridges, Edel, Kakuro and Hitori"

Things are definately looking up.

Moggy
moggymidge

Postby motris » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:32 pm

I definitely swear by the Nikoli puzzle books myself, having found the math/logic puzzles available in American magazines far too limiting (with the exception of the cross sums that have been in Dell's magazines for awhile, birthplace of number place as well). The currency conversion has always worked out fine for me and my orders have arrived in a couple weeks.

I doubt Nikoli will be putting out another Bridges book anytime soon - the puzzle just does not offer enough new logical flavor for much creativity (Japanese puzzle writers love pulling little twists in the puzzles they write and Bridges doesn't allow much of this) and so the book they published many years ago is still the only Bridges book they have.

For those who like Slitherlink/fences a lot, I also recommend Masyu/pearls puzzles. It is a little easier to get into than the slitherlink with fewer patterns you need to learn, but also just as rewarding as the fences puzzles.

Thomas Snyder
motris

Postby jandrbaker » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:13 pm

Here is a link to a Slitherlink site:

www.pro.or.jp/~fuji/java/puzzle/numline/index-eng.html
jandrbaker

Return to Other logic puzzles