Number Grid Puzzle - Sudoku + Tetris

For fans of all other kinds of logic puzzles

Number Grid Puzzle - Sudoku + Tetris

Postby Tasselfoot » Sun May 04, 2008 7:50 am

These tiles (each grouping of numbers is 1 tile. There are 21 total. Each one has it's own shape that it must stay in), if placed in the correct order will form a square where each horizontal
line will be identical to one vertical line. Assemble the square.

To clarify, I mean that while there may be multiple ways to assemble those tiles into a square, the square is solved correctly if for each of the 8-digit rows matches up left to right, with one of the 8-digit columns top to bottom.

So if one row is 12345678 then one column will be

Code: Select all
445     9      623       2     860     
        2               54      2       
47      9      325                     
                 6                    2
  3     0                     32       
 564    5                     26       
        8       4     64             9 0
                5     7              039
58                            890       
         29          4               
  89         4             67           
  97         7              5           

Tasselfoot

Postby udosuk » Tue May 06, 2008 3:35 am

This puzzle has at least 8 solutions, and I don't rule out the possibility that there might be others.

Click here to see 2 of those solutions

And then you can swap the 2 3-cell pieces in r345c67 and the corresponding 2 2-cell pieces in r67c45 to get 2 more solutions.

And then you can swap r123c123 and r678c678 to get even 4 more solutions.

All in all don't think it's a well-designed puzzle at all.:(
udosuk

Postby Tasselfoot » Tue May 06, 2008 3:48 am

I actually am not the creator of this puzzle... and I wound up solving it with a different solution. But I also noticed that there were many solutions to the puzzle, more than 8.

Regardless, I felt the puzzle was fairly creative and unique, even without the singular solution. I enjoyed the tactile nature of it, cutting pieces out and moving them around on a table top.
Tasselfoot

Postby udosuk » Tue May 06, 2008 4:58 pm

Tasselfoot wrote:Regardless, I felt the puzzle was fairly creative and unique, even without the singular solution.

All decent logic puzzle should have a unique solution. If it hasn't one there is no way to "logically solve" the puzzle (you have to guess at some point to obtain your own solution). Unless the goal is to find out how many solutions are there, which I ain't motivated at all for this one.

Tasselfoot wrote:I enjoyed the tactile nature of it, cutting pieces out and moving them around on a table top.

In that case it's just a playable mechanical toy, and not a particularly intriguing one...

But nonetheless thanks for bringing this puzzle to our attention. Hopefully you can introduce us a better one in the future!:)
udosuk

Return to Other logic puzzles