Not so nice nice loop

Post the puzzle or solving technique that's causing you trouble and someone will help

Postby DonM » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:49 pm

I remember the discussions that occurred that differentiated the term 'strong inference' from 'strong link'. The way it came across to me was that it was really a subtlety that made some sense in the context of some of the subjects that were being discussed at the time eg. Jeff described a strong link as having a strong inference and weak inference so presumably the idea was to have a term such as inference that distinguished between the potential strong/weak states of a parent strong link. Thus a pure 'weak link' is separated from the potential 'weak inference' of a strong link and so on.

Outside of that, I can't recall a situation in recent memory where the use of the terms 'strong link' or 'weak link' seemed to cause confusion. Unless there is some sort of confusion, using two different terms ie. 'link' vs. 'inference' doesn't seem all that necessary.
DonM
2013 Supporter

Postby ronk » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:17 pm

DonM wrote:Outside of that, I can't recall a situation in recent memory where the use of the terms 'strong link' or 'weak link' seemed to cause confusion. Unless there is some sort of confusion, using two different terms ie. 'link' vs. 'inference' doesn't seem all that necessary.

The "that" confusion was a problem for Gee in his opening post. How much more "necessity" do you need? (pun intended:) )
ronk
2012 Supporter

Postby daj95376 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:48 pm

Gee wrote:I want to thank everybody for their replies.

daj95376 wrote:2-Fish r6b3\c47 fF 101\020 <> 8 [r2c4] Empty Rectangle

I am confused with the above. take the first line which reads, "2-fish r6b3\c47"". I don't understand what the "b" represents in "r6b2". Can anybody help me with that? The solver I used was Scanraids and I wonder which solver daj95376 used and if it is more comprehensible than Scanraids.

I must admit I don't see the empty rectangle alluded to in the above.

many thanks.

Sorry, I was afraid that you might have problems with my use of box, column, and row for identifying cells in the grid.

That said, the Empty Rectangle is the finned Franken X-Wing that I left above. The cells for the Empty Rectangle (along with an AIC for good measure) are in my post and should be identifiable.
daj95376
2014 Supporter

Postby DonM » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:21 am

ronk wrote:
DonM wrote:Outside of that, I can't recall a situation in recent memory where the use of the terms 'strong link' or 'weak link' seemed to cause confusion. Unless there is some sort of confusion, using two different terms ie. 'link' vs. 'inference' doesn't seem all that necessary.

The "that" confusion was a problem for Gee in his opening post. How much more "necessity" do you need? (pun intended:) )

So confusion over cryptic output from a computer solver would have been solved by the simple use of the term 'inference'...
DonM
2013 Supporter

Postby ronk » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:41 am

DonM wrote:
ronk wrote:The "that" confusion was a problem for Gee in his opening post. How much more "necessity" do you need? (pun intended:) )

So confusion over cryptic output from a computer solver would have been solved by the simple use of the term 'inference'...

That was daj95376's conclusion here, and I agree. Nothing has 100% assurance, but at least it might have caused Gee to consider the possibility that there are different terms (and definitions) for the pencilmarks and the inference stream, whether NL or AIC.
ronk
2012 Supporter

Postby aran » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:52 am

ttt wrote:
aran wrote:Strong link between a and b means : at least one must be true, or equivalently both cannot be false, and both may be true.

I never see: "strong link" that is both may be true...
Perhaps, you meant SIS (Strong I... Sets)

ttt

Strong link : at least one of two is true, and both may be true.
SIS : at least one of several is true (though most often exactly one of several is true).
aran

Postby aran » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:53 am

DonM wrote:
ronk wrote:

Yes that sums it neatly up:)
aran

Previous

Return to Help with puzzles and solving techniques