No guesses?

Advanced methods and approaches for solving Sudoku puzzles

No guesses?

Postby Batteneye » Sun May 15, 2005 12:50 pm

I read in the help guide that all puzzles can be solved without having to guess at an answer.

That pre-supposes that every puzzle, when fully kitted out with pencil marks has at least one square with just one pencil mark in it. Is this true, because I am working on one at present where this does not seem to be so?

If I’m wrong, someone please tell. Otherwise I’ll have to continue checking my pencil marks until I find a square which should have only one.
Batteneye

Postby Animator » Sun May 15, 2005 1:27 pm

That is correct... no guesses are required...

And you don't nessesarily end up with one cell with only one pencil mark before you can fill in a number... for example when a row has only one cell where it can have the number 7 then that cell will most likely have pencil marks for others numbers too (although they are impossible since that cells has to be a 7)

(Also, if you are stuck, make sure to verify the starting-grid... (if you copied it))
Animator

Postby Batteneye » Sun May 15, 2005 4:36 pm

Thanks very much. That is a big help. Seems I have a lot to learn about SuDoKu. One other, unrelated question. I have the option to include my signature ticked, and have set my signature in profile but it is not appearing. Any ideas anyone please?
Batteneye

Postby Guest » Mon May 16, 2005 2:23 pm

Well to me sudoku is super interesting.
I write the numbers i needed onto a paper and cross out the ones witch i put down onto the sudoku. It is really easy sometimes but it takes time.

Return to Advanced solving techniques