Nice Loops: some exercises

Advanced methods and approaches for solving Sudoku puzzles

Postby Carcul » Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:39 pm

Hi Bob.

The next "nice loop" for the configuration above can be a triple implication chain, with a trivalue tripod at r7c3, which implies r8c4=6. Alternatively, you can use the chain posted above by Rubylips.

As far as I am concern, this is not trial and error because it is involved in nice loop construction a process of patern recognition: this patern is the construction of strong and weak links between nodes, and make logic deductions whenever we have a loop. I think this is different from just try a number in a cell and see if there is a contradiction. But, if you prefer to see it just as T&E, then I can say that nice loops are a much more elegant form of trial and error. Why don't you try yourself, by hand, and try to find some loops in the exercises that I have posted above? I guess you will see the difference.

BTW, I have replied to a post of you in the progammers forum.

Regards, Carcul
Carcul

loop vocabulary?

Postby DadSierra » Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:00 pm

i have been trying to follow ths discussion and work through some of the examples, however i need help with the vocabulary being used. can one of the active memboers point me to a post where some of these terms are defined?

after becoming profecient at moderately difficult puzzles, i jumped to the back of the book to (Will Shortz volume #2, puzzle 93) and have found myself seriously stuck. I am pretty sure i need to understand loops to solve this puzzle as I all of the cells remaining to be solved contain multiple potential solutions and a few of them have the same set of potential solutions..

any pointers or advice appreciated.

DadSierra
DadSierra

Re: loop vocabulary?

Postby sheila08 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:26 pm

DadSierra wrote:after becoming profecient at moderately difficult puzzles, i jumped to the back of the book to (Will Shortz volume #2, puzzle 93) and have found myself seriously stuck. I am pretty sure i need to understand loops to solve this puzzle as I all of the cells remaining to be solved contain multiple potential solutions and a few of them have the same set of potential solutions..

any pointers or advice appreciated.

DadSierra

Please post your puzzle as haven't a clue what your puzzle looks like.
Also, there are a zillion places that point you to both Simes' and Angus' guides. Look around some!

By the way, the Will Shortz book I have (The Ultimate Sudoku Challenge) has puzzles that are harder than they are rated, and yet I am not convinced that there is only one solution to a puzzle. The only two "ultimate challenge" puzzles require an x-wing, but one has been forewarned...

Cheers, Sheila
sheila08

Postby Carcul » Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:05 pm

Hi DadSierra, and welcome to this forum.

Try this link , this one , this one , and this one . But if you have some doubts, post them in this forum.

Regards, Carcul
Carcul

Re: http://forum.enjoysudoku.com/login.php?logout=true&s

Postby Pep » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:03 pm

rubylips wrote:Pep,

Your candidate grid allows an elegant Two-Sector Disjoint Subsets elimination:

Many thanks rubylips for that reference. That was new to me. I'll have to implement it when I find time.
Pep

Postby Carcul » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:07 pm

Just by curiosity, have someone managed to complete exercise #5?

Carcul
Carcul

Postby Jeff » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:23 pm

Hi Carcul, After my mis-identification of the continuous multiple poly-implication loop, I haven't had a chance to look at that grid.
Jeff

Previous

Return to Advanced solving techniques