New to Sudoku. Just solved my first one.

Everything about Sudoku that doesn't fit in one of the other sections

New to Sudoku. Just solved my first one.

Postby MntyPythn858 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:16 am

They're great fun. I used the cross hatching method to solve them.:)
MntyPythn858

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:18 am

Hello and welcome to the Forum.

Well done on your solving:D

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby PatmaxDaddy » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:01 pm

I have a confession: I've been working on Sudoku math since last August, and I've managed to post a few results, but I've never actually solved a Sudoku puzzle. The first thing I did after discovering Sudoku was to write a program to solve the puzzles, and once I had created a purely mechanical procedure that always finds a solution, I never developed any interest in solving them by hand. But given all the world-wide passion for the puzzle, I suppose I'm missing something.
PatmaxDaddy

Postby Smythe Dakota » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:53 am

PatmaxDaddy wrote:.... The first thing I did .... was to write a program to solve the puzzles ....

Does your program also establish uniqueness, or does it stop as soon as it finds one solution?

Bill Smythe
Smythe Dakota

Postby deam3r » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:01 am

Smythe Dakota wrote:
PatmaxDaddy wrote:.... The first thing I did .... was to write a program to solve the puzzles ....

Does your program also establish uniqueness, or does it stop as soon as it finds one solution?

Bill Smythe

That's true, I'm a fan of Sudoku and I wan't to no if... What Smythe Dakota said.
deam3r

Postby PatmaxDaddy » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:24 pm

Smythe Dakota wrote:Does your program also establish uniqueness, or does it stop as soon as it finds one solution?

It can stop after finding the first one, or find them all (and thereby establish uniqueness). Note that Sudoku solver programs have been around for a long time, so this is hardly noteworthy.

I am curious, however, if there are others like me who enjoy the math but have never tried the puzzle.
PatmaxDaddy

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:18 pm

PatmaxDaddy wrote:I am curious, however, if there are others like me who enjoy the math but have never tried the puzzle.

Yes, there are. Try the Programmer's Forum - you'll have to find that yourself:D - or SadMan Software

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby Chessmaster » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:33 pm

good job on solving your 1st puzzle. the only problem is you can not stop now. you are addicted to sudoku
Chessmaster

Postby MntyPythn858 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:44 am

You're right. I am addicted now.
MntyPythn858

Postby ab » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:23 pm

Smythe Dakota wrote:Does your program also establish uniqueness, or does it stop as soon as it finds one solution?
Bill Smythe

That's a strange question. If the program uses logic to find a solution, then if it finds a solution, it is de facto unique.
ab

Postby tarek » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:27 pm

ab wrote:
Bill Smythe

That's a strange question. If the program uses logic to find a solution, then if it finds a solution, it is de facto unique.

That is unless you you base your logic on the fact that the puzzle has a unique solution when it actually has many.
tarek

Postby ab » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:45 am

tarek wrote:That is unless you you base your logic on the fact that the puzzle has a unique solution when it actually has many.

methinks you refer to the strategy of if you have pairs at the corners of a rectangle except one cell has a third number, or summit like that. If you have read my responses to those posts you'll know that I don't approve of that strategy. Can't think of any other strategies that have been discussed here that assume a unique puzzle, but I don't read a lot of the posts, so I may have missed something.
ab

Postby tarek » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:50 am

ab wrote:methinks you refer to the strategy of if you have pairs at the corners of a rectangle except one cell has a third number, or summit like that.

You are right, however it doesn't just stop there. These methods include: Unique rectangles, Almost unique rectangles, BUG principle amongst others..........

Tarek
tarek

Return to General