New Sudoku Technique (Cracking the Cryptic)

Everything about Sudoku that doesn't fit in one of the other sections

New Sudoku Technique (Cracking the Cryptic)

Postby Pupp » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:54 pm

Here's a brand new Sudoku technique just uploaded to Youtube by Cracking the Cryptic.
He's not taking credit for it, so I'll watch the video again to see if he credits it to someone. If not, maybe someone can dig the person's name up. I'll dig around myself, but the more people that try to find the discoverer's name, the faster we can properly give credit for the technique.

He uses the Tatooine Sunset puzzle to explain it, and another puzzle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12lPDRFXhYs&t=535s

If technique doesn't have a name, I suggest the "Tatooine Sunset" technique. Which we can say "TSS" for short.

Warning: I posted the youtube url also on the "Tatooine Sunset/Tatooine Sunrise" puzzle thread also.

Also, post if you've heard about this technique already. I'm not sure how long this new technique has been around. (And in internet terms, even a svelte 2 days could occasionally be considered a long time.)
Pupp

Re: New Sudoku Technique (Cracking the Cryptic)

Postby ghfick » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:42 pm

This technique is the Multi Sector Locked Set [MSLS]. David P Bird gives an introduction on this forum.
ghfick

Postby Pupp » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:16 am

ghfick wrote:This technique is the Multi Sector Locked Set [MSLS]. David P Bird gives an introduction on this forum.

Ahh, thanks. I'm rather surprised the Cracking the Cryptic guy didn't know about it, considering his elite status as a high level player in the UK.

In any event, I have a laundry list of other, easier techniques I need to master before I worry about learning the Multi Sector Locked Set.
Pupp

Postby mith » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:05 pm

Trevor Tao did a video on this puzzle as well (which is what led to Simon discussing it again; Tom and Sam that he mentions in the video were discussing Trevor’s video, with Sam linking it to MSLS), I found it a nice way to visualize what’s going on with MSLS.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=blH0aRUERy0

I was definitely not expecting this puzzle to lead to them introducing MSLS to the channel, heh.
mith

Postby StrmCkr » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:02 am

Well right in the videos comment sections he does outline it as being brought to his attention as "multi sector locked sets" but doesn't credit this forum where its was started only credits the guys that mention it.

msls stems back to a multiple person collocated effort to increase the power of fish with multiple digits ie multi-fish

that being said the first person to publish anything on the subject is officially 1 person.

david P bird tried to tie hidden/naked sets as the reason multi-fish worked well and that it could do more in a first attempt labeled
sharks - ideas that long circulated this form before it was titled msls however some forum members corrupted the thread and it went off topic a lot so it was rehashed with a more sound and stable bases

david P bird idea msls comes from a method to simplify and make muti-fish more powerful and easier to spot using 2 different sets given and hidden. then its a matter of mathematically balancing the sets for digit count/space as there is always exactly the same # of hidden and away digits between any 2 sets in the same space. if there isn't then one of the sets has eliminations :) {overtly generalized}

but officially the name muti sector locked sets { lesser known as} sharks
belongs to david P bird

considering his elite status as a high level player in the UK.
not really, most of the "pros" don't use very difficult techniques usually its limited to naked/hidden singles, Naked/hidden-pairs, xy-wings, x-wings and occasionally UR's formations for competition puzzles then finally guesses as comps are based on time and higher power techniques usually run to much time and often are fruitless.
so they don't study or look up the specific names for techniques above the ones mention above/

occasionally they'll find something new to them and mention it but don't go the extra step to find out if it is known or not already or which "name" it lands under.

{if u scroll the comments you will often see the remarks of "another guess" to finish then some one points out the method to solve it with out guessing oh well learning missed for them i guess :P}
Some do, some teach, the rest look it up.
stormdoku
StrmCkr

Return to General