New Sudoku helper

Programs which generate, solve, and analyze Sudoku puzzles

New Sudoku helper

Postby gordonisnz » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:25 am

hi.

Ive just joined this forum tonight. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but i'll provide more information if asked.

I like playing the regular 9x9 sudoku on a website & can play all the different levels...

I like designing websites & decided to create a web-helper to allow players to solve the sudoku puzzles faster. on my own, i took 2-3 hours to solve an expert puzzle (while watching tv at the same time).

Using my helper, i can solve them in under an hour.

its not a game in its own right - its a helper to an existing game. the main part of it works, i've just got to add all the auxiliary things to it (instructions, better layout/graphics etc)

Of course, i'll like feedback and develop it more

Would it be on-topic to post here ? Or are you only looking for 'main games', ?
gordonisnz

Re: New Sudoku helper

Postby JasonLion » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:50 pm

Welcome to the New Sudoku Players Forum.

Discussing more or less anything along these lines is fine on the forum. I am not certain how much interest there will be, but there should be some.

What interests me about helpers is considering how much help is "help" and when "help" starts taking the fun out of solving a puzzle. This is of course a very personal distinction, on which there is not going to be consensus. Still, the details of the just where that line might be for various people I find fascinating. For me, I appreciate some software support for "book keeping" but don't want any assistance that might be considered "solving". At simpler levels I find maintaining pencil mark support robs the puzzle of any challenge, but at more complex difficulty levels pencil marks turn into "book keeping" for me and I appreciate some help with them.
JasonLion
2017 Supporter

Postby gordonisnz » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:12 am

Basically, my website is basically a pencil-marking system, except its electronic.

I do not play sudoku with paper/pencil etc. but ive seen various instructional videos that teach pencil-marking techniques. so i dveloped an electronic/website version.

so far apart from that, im not planning on any 'solving' procedures.

1) Ive got to design an 'installation' process - to set up the initial sudoku board.

Currently you need to manually enter all the numbers, replacing blank squares with 0 (zero).

start from the top left, type 9 digits, then go to the next line & type 9 digits... etc

Here is a difficult / hard board:-

I basically do 27 digits (all the top 3x3 row.) then do the next 27 digits - next 3x row, & then the bottom row.

its a quick check to see if all the lines are the same length, i know ive got all the digits.

1A) i then put the 3 x lines into one 81=-digit line. and add the URL:-

www.kwister.com/sudoku/?start=800020010 ... 0020050006

i'll develop a quicker method to set it up...

2) in each blank square, you'll see a small arrow.. Select a test number you think will go to the square & click on the SUBMIT button. (you can change a few/multiple squares at the same time.)

2A) if you realise a test number does NOT go in the box, use the arrow again to select that number & then press submit - it will go away.

3) when you are sure a specific number goes into a box (not a test) - use the arrow to select a REAL number (you do not need to remove the test numbers first)...

- currently it only 'saves' the initial values (if the website/PC crashes).. i'll make a way so it periodically saves any changes you make.

- if you accidentally put a REAL number in the wrong box - You'll need to press the BACK button on your browser - i'll fix that too, so you can remove a real number.

Any thoughts... ??
gordonisnz

Postby gordonisnz » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:25 am

gordonisnz wrote:
1A) i then put the 3 x lines into one 81=-digit line. and add the URL:-

www.kwister.com/sudoku/?start=800020010 ... 0020050006

Ive just checked & this forum is not quoting the full number in the URL hyperlink. You'll need to copy-n-paste the number in the URL.
Last edited by gordonisnz on Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
gordonisnz

Postby JasonLion » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:11 am

You can post a full URL without having it truncated by enclosing the URL in the appropriate tags.

{url}http://some.site.com/somefile.html?q=this+that+something+other+and+so+on+and+so+on{/url}

except you replace the curly braces with square braces, which gives you:

http://some.site.com/somefile.html?q=this+that+something+other+and+so+on+and+so+on

instead of what happens without the tags

http://some.site.com/somefile.html?q=th ... +and+so+on
JasonLion
2017 Supporter

Return to Software