New online Sudoku helper

Programs which generate, solve, and analyze Sudoku puzzles

New online Sudoku helper

Postby birdman5 » Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:38 pm

Hi,

www.sudoku.uk.com offers online sudoku puzzles, gives general and detailed hints, and can step you through a puzzle. Save a puzzle to come back to later, or scrap it and just add your own!

Much more to come such as a discussion board, sudoku uploader/convertor, and time-trials. Please feel free to check it out.
birdman5

Major Site Update

Postby birdman5 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:57 pm

Recent improvements to the site: http://www.sudoku.uk.com

Picture Sudoku!
Behind each puzzle is a picture. You must solve the puzzle to see it in full. Submit your own pictures and puzzles to truly personalise your sudokus!

Sudoku Solver.
Manually add a puzzle from your local newspaper or book, and get the full solution. Alternatively, you can upload or copy and paste in. You can save the completed puzzle to email to your friends.

Improved solver.
The solver now takes a more 'human' approach. It will try the simplest techniques first, then will get increasingly more complex in order to find the next number. As soon as it finds a number, it will revert back to the simple techniques again.

Undo / Redo Added.
You can now go back if you make a mistake, or forward again if you so desire.

Solutions Added.
You will now be shown when you enter an incorrect answer. The offending cells will be shown in red. You can either Undo your entry, or just remove it manually. Remember to save after fixing it.

Step and Solve options removed.
These were removed because i thought it they take the fun out of Sudoku, and also because they quickly show the picture behind the puzzle, again ruining the surprise. They may return one day, who knows...

Login.
The site will now remember if you have logged in before. This is done using cookies, so if you delete them, you will have to login again.

My Profile.
You can now change some settings for the puzzle. If you want to show the 'pencil marks' against each cell on the grid, you can. Likewise, you can have these removed when showing a hint. Finally, you can remove the picture from the grid (as if you'd want to!).

Sudoku Techniques.
A full, graphical rundown of all the techniques used by the sudoku solver.

Discussion Board.
Ask any sudoku related questions here.
birdman5

solution

Postby sheila08 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:06 pm

i entered a puzzle on your site. The solution is available here--select "express" and enter the numbers 14479.

You said it is not solvable!

Sheila
sheila08

Postby birdman5 » Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:56 pm

The solution is available here--select "express" and enter the numbers 14479

Do you have a link?

When the site say's a puzzle is not solvable, it means it is not solvable using the current programmed logic. The solver on my site only uses some of the techniques available to solving puzzles. I did this to keep the solver as 'human' as possible.

More advanced techniques may be required for your puzzle. If you add it here, i can tell you exactly what is needed:)
birdman5

Postby birdman5 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:24 pm

Recent improvements to www.sudoku.uk.com:

X-wing, Swordfish, Jellyfish & (multi) Colouring added. New extreme category created to handle these puzzles.

No login required to use solver or picture sudoku.

Can now change text colour of picture Sudoku.

10 New puzzles now generated every hour. Last 40 shown in the blog page.

New 'unsolved' sudoku page. Anything that beats the solver is posted here. Either very very hard, or invalid puzzles.

Simple version of the site available here www.sudoku.uk.com/simple:
birdman5

Return to Software