new magazine: Su-doku Selection

All about puzzles in newspapers, magazines, and books

new magazine: Su-doku Selection

Postby Guest » Tue May 10, 2005 4:35 pm

For those who can't get enough - some company's made an entire magazine called 'Su-doku Selection' which goes on sale on Thursday. From the promotional bumph it looks better value than The Times book and contains a few different puzzles too.

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Thu May 12, 2005 2:11 pm

Saw this this morning and I'm not impressed, I'm afraid.

The puzzles are not rated, which is important to me.

Thanks for letting us know, though.

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby Animator » Fri May 13, 2005 6:57 pm

Not rated puzzles can have an advantage too...

A question you should ask yourself if you look at the rating and then decide what technique to use (or what not to use?)...

We all know that Hard puzzles don't have X-Wings (for example, I'm sure a Hard puzzle has something a Medium doesn't has), a Very-Hard puzzle might have an X-wing, this meaning that by knowing the rating you could decide not to look for an x-wing... which in a way means you already got a hint by the rating...

(Ofcourse you would ge the same hint when the puzzles in the magazine are ordered from easy to difficult for example :) )
Animator

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Sun May 15, 2005 2:21 pm

Animator, I'm not that sophisticated:D . I can (just about) do the Fiendish puzzles, so that's what I stick with and want to go straight to. No ratings means that I have to guess which ones are which and having completed one have no idea whether it was an achievement or not since I don't know the standard.

I'm sure that no ratings has as many advantages as disadvantages. I just looked through this particular magazine - in the same way that I looked through the WHSmith one - and decided that I didn't fancy it.

No ratings was one of the reasons. I suppose my opinion is coloured by my experience with the Daily Mail puzzles, they are unrated and, since I can't be bothered with them any more - in spite of the fact that I cut my teeth on them - I'm suspicious of all other unrated puzzles.

Doesn't mean that this magazine isn't good, though, it just means that I don't fancy it.

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby jonallen1966 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:24 am

Is this different to one I just posted a message about today ?
The times are promoting a version from the "Puzzler" group
www.puzzler.co.uk/times/
jonallen1966

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:14 am

Yeah, it's a different one. I prefer the one you provided a link for, but that's just personal preference.

The one I don't like is green in colour and I just personally don't like it - not because it's green either!

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby jonallen1966 » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:47 pm

Found a link to the one you were talking about :

http://www.mediaweek.co.uk/articles/folder2005/05/maydaily/bauer-sudokutitle

Yeah looks ugly.

I found the link from a Sudoku weblog :

http://sudoku.infoforliving.com/
jonallen1966

Postby Lindy » Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:06 am

Su-doku Selection has been revamped. Puzzles are now graded and there are a few 12x12s.
Lindy

Postby Lardarse » Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:35 am

There weren't any 12x12 in issue 2 nut i think that the otehr puzzle types in the bood make this something that I would like to buy again...

Once. maybe:)

LA
Lardarse

Postby RFB » Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:52 am

I tool a copy of Sudoku selctions (issue 2) on holiday with me and found all of the puzzles to be of a fairly basic level.
OK for on the plane or sitting by the pool but nothing to tax the brain to hard.
I found I could do them in ink without pencil marks in around 10-15 minutes each.
RFB

Return to Published puzzles