Need some help here :-)

Advanced methods and approaches for solving Sudoku puzzles

Need some help here :-)

Postby SarC » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:03 pm

Hi, new guy here:D

I've really tried coming up with a solution to this one. I'm down to guessing and I don't want to do that. So I would be really grateful if someone could give me a clue, and an explaintion to how he/she found it.

Tnx in advance

Code: Select all
 |3.1|28.|..7|
 |...|1.7|...|
 |7.6|934|51.|
 |---+---+---|
 |.7.|4.9|18.|
 |9.8|.21|7.4|
 |.1.|873|.5.|
 |---+---+---|
 |..9|.4.|371|
 |...|7.2|8.5|
 |..7|3.8|..6|
Last edited by SarC on Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SarC

Postby r.e.s. » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:17 pm

Look carefully at the entries in column six.
r.e.s.

Postby SarC » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:27 pm

r.e.s. wrote:Look carefully at the entries in column six.

Soooorry, made a mistake. I've corrected it now....
SarC

Postby Shazbot » Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:19 pm

Hi guys, have been playing Sudoku for a little while but new to the forum. Now that SarC knows what's wrong, can you tell me what's happened in column 6? I can't see anything incorrect, and can't see where it gives clues as to the next step. Thanks.
Shazbot

Postby SarC » Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:39 pm

shazbot wrote:Hi guys, have been playing Sudoku for a little while but new to the forum. Now that SarC knows what's wrong, can you tell me what's happened in column 6? I can't see anything incorrect, and can't see where it gives clues as to the next step. Thanks.

I made an error in entering the 'text-version' of my puzzle so there was two 8's in a column. So I still need help for a solution to the puzzle :-D
SarC

Postby r.e.s. » Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:42 pm

shazbot,
SarC's first grid had two 8's in column 6 (he's fixed it now). The next thing to notice would probably be the naked pairs in row 7. There are other naked pairs to look for after that. Look here
http://www.simes.clara.co.uk/programs/sudokutechniques.htm
to read about naked pairs and more.
r.e.s.

Postby Shazbot » Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:00 am

Thanks - I thought I was going crazy - I couldn't see anything wrong with it! And thanks for the link too - I'm going to put that to good use. Have been scratching my head at some of the terminology (I thought XWing was a Star Wars thing....) and dreaming about the day when it will all be a part of my normal vocabulary!
Shazbot

Postby stuartn » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:40 am

shazbot wrote:Thanks - I thought I was going crazy - I couldn't see anything wrong with it! And thanks for the link too - I'm going to put that to good use. Have been scratching my head at some of the terminology (I thought XWing was a Star Wars thing....) and dreaming about the day when it will all be a part of my normal vocabulary!

It IS a StarWars thing - I may be wrong but I believe the 'swordfish' technique was named after the wing configuration of the old Fairy Swordfish biplane - used in Malta in WW2 and elsewhere, because the placing of the nodes in the pattern resembles the wing-wire structure of the plane. It's reasonable to assume that the x-wing name has similar airborne origins. DeHavilland Turbot doesn't quite fit with this does it?

As I said ... I may be wrong and I'm sure tso will put me right.

stuartn:D
stuartn

Return to Advanced solving techniques