Must be logic only

Post the puzzle or solving technique that's causing you trouble and someone will help

Postby Karyobin » Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:38 pm

Nick70 wrote:To find a hidden single you only need to focus on a digit and crisscross what's on the grid. To find a naked single you need to look for all other 8 digits, so it takes longer.

The same thing happens with hidden and naked pairs. When solving without pencilmarks, hidden pairs are just easier to see.

Absolutely right. Personally however, I think only in terms of Single, Pair or higher when working without pencilmarks, on the principle that they can't be hidden if there's nothing in the way.
Karyobin

Postby tso » Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:21 pm

Nick70's solution is perfect and blows my comments about relative difficulty out of the water. When reading the forum, I don't always take the time to print out the puzzles in question and solve them on paper -- in this case, I really should have.
tso

Postby Lummox JR » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:06 am

I know a number of people here have suggested that a puzzle with subsets is difficult to impossible without pencil marks, but I just don't get this. I've found naked singles do present a challenge, but they're findable. Subsets though aren't that hard, and hidden subsets tend to be easier in this case than naked subsets.

I often like to handle the puzzles at websudoku.com, on the Evil level. Their bar is pretty low, though; their evil puzzles need nothing more complex than subsets, except in one or two cases where X-wing turned out to be helpful. There the solving is done entirely without pencilmarks, and subsets are actually easier to spot than you'd think.
Lummox JR

Previous

Return to Help with puzzles and solving techniques