multiple solutions

Everything about Sudoku that doesn't fit in one of the other sections

multiple solutions

Postby oldbird » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:24 pm

My daughter and I are new to sudoku puzzles and in doing our first one (in local newspaper), came up with 2 different solutions, but both meet all the rules for a solution. Is this normal? (3x3 puzzle).

I see from previous postings that there can be a large number of solutions to a particular puzzle and some "players" seem to enjoy examining how the puzzle works and how many solutions can be obtained for the same puzzle.
oldbird

Postby Pat » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:28 pm

oldbird wrote:My daughter and I are new to sudoku puzzles and in doing our first one (in local newspaper), came up with 2 different solutions, but both meet all the rules for a solution. Is this normal? (3x3 puzzle).

I see from previous postings that there can be a large number of solutions to a particular puzzle and some "players" seem to enjoy examining how the puzzle works and how many solutions can be obtained for the same puzzle.

we generally require a puzzle to have exactly one answer

would you care to post the original puzzle from the newspaper?
    thanks
Pat

Postby Smythe Dakota » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:58 am

A proper Sudoku puzzle is supposed to have only one solution. So either the puzzle is defective, or you made a mistake. (If it was a newspaper puzzle, I suspect the latter.)

By 3x3, I assume you meant 9x9 with 3x3 boxes.

Bill Smythe
Smythe Dakota

Return to General