MORE than one ans??

Advanced methods and approaches for solving Sudoku puzzles

MORE than one ans??

Postby M.SRINIVAS » Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:43 am

can a sudoku puzzle have more than one answers??
M.SRINIVAS

Postby emm » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:42 am

I'm only going to say this once. The answer is Yes - if it's a rotten old puzzle made by someone who doesn't know what they're doing or doesn't care about integrity and only wants to make a quick buck.
emm

Postby snowbear » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:16 am

A 9X9 number puzzle/sudoku is a number placement game. It can have :

Group I : only one single solution
ie every number must be at certain position
Group II : more than one solution.

Most of us solving sudoku puzzles are only interested in Group I.
Group II are for the intellectually challenged people cuz it is generally very difficult to solve as we can place more than one number in some of the positions in the grid.
snowbear

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:51 am

snowbear wrote:Group II are for the intellectually challenged people cuz it is generally very difficult to solve as we can place more than one number in some of the positions in the grid.

I'd say that was a bit strong. It also looks contradictory ie how can you be intellectually challenged when something is very difficult to solve? Perhaps a better wording is required. Anyway, I have seen people post to this forum saying that the challenge with multiple solution puzzles is finding all of the different solutions.

It's not my cup of tea, after all you could just put in any old number and the chances are that the puzzle will work out which renders the solving process completely redundant and thus doing the puzzle a complete waste of time. But that's only my POV. Never having (knowingly) done a puzzle with more than one solution I can't really say. Perhaps there are advanced solving techniques for these puzzles that we don't know about, since the majority here don't do them.

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

more than 1 ans.

Postby M.SRINIVAS » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:12 pm

i have some puzzles with more than one answers.

i can show it.

i ahve it in the old editions of the news paper.

will get the stuff after searching .
will get it in the morning.
(india)

srinivas
M.SRINIVAS

Postby tso » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:53 pm

By *definition*, a Sudoku has one and only one solution. If you have a puzzle that has multiple solutions or no solutions, it is malformed puzzle.

This is no different than a crossword puzzle that has no solution due to a mistake by the author.

The question, asked over and over, is faulty. You are asking: "Is it possible for a 6 foot women to be only 5 feet tall?" Of course not. But nothing is stopping anyone from *claiming* a 5 foot woman is actually 6 feet tall.
tso

Re: more than 1 ans.

Postby QBasicMac » Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:36 pm

M.SRINIVAS wrote:i have some puzzles with more than one answers.
i can show it.

Nobody doubts that. We have seen MANY puzzles with more than one answer and MANY that have no answer.

The point is that we are not interested in such puzzles and classify them as "malformed", as tso said. We barely tolerate puzzles with one solution if the original marks are not symmetrical.

(Not to say that you can't find another forum somewhere that loves asymmetric multi-solution puzzles)

Mac
QBasicMac

Return to Advanced solving techniques