Missing numbers!!

Everything about Sudoku that doesn't fit in one of the other sections

Missing numbers!!

Postby Guest » Sat May 07, 2005 6:27 am

Is it possible to work out a grid using logic only, if not all numbers are represented in the frame at the start of the puzzle? I recently worked on a puzzle from the Telegraph and the number 8 was not identified at all in the grid - try as I might I cannot complete the puzzle using logic alone!! Can any one help?:?::(

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Sat May 07, 2005 8:31 am

Yes it is possible, because I've done it but then the puzzle involved was a Daily Mail puzzle, which, to all intents and purposes, doesn't provide too much in the way of challenge - IMHO. I don't recall seeing any other puzzle which didn't have at least one representative of any given number.

Post the puzzle and I'll see if I can give you a hint (she says, optimistically) as to the next move.

Luna:)
lunababy_moonchild

Postby Animator » Sat May 07, 2005 10:57 am

There are many that are missing numbers...

I recall one where there was no 6 and no 9... or where a box has no numbers at all, that usually isn't a problem...
Animator

Re: Missing numbers!!

Postby RFB » Sat May 07, 2005 4:03 pm

Dot. wrote:Is it possible to work out a grid using logic only, if not all numbers are represented in the frame at the start of the puzzle? I recently worked on a puzzle from the Telegraph and the number 8 was not identified at all in the grid - try as I might I cannot complete the puzzle using logic alone!! Can any one help?:?::(

To provide a valid puzzle 8 of the 9 numbers must be present in the initial clues. If there are two (or more) missing numbers then those numbers would be interchangeable in the solution.
RFB

Postby Guest » Sat May 07, 2005 6:17 pm

Also Dot, you should be aware that the Daily Telegraph regularly publish puzzles that require trial and error to complete - normally the Diabolical ones.

Return to General