Minimzing/Optimizing Pencilling In

Advanced methods and approaches for solving Sudoku puzzles

Postby Doyle » Sun Aug 28, 2005 4:14 pm

Strictly esthetics, at least from the solver's point of view. After making a few entries, it doesn't matter any more, just an added minor pleasure when you start out.
Doyle

Postby Paul Majewski » Sun Aug 28, 2005 4:35 pm

I'm a newbie, having tried about 4 hard puzzles, with near sucess once, and only just now looking at the tips at this site and at http://www.angusj.com/sudoku/hints.php .

What about pencilling in by position and an open shape rather than by position and number? The open shape allows for non-candidacy by simply fillling in the open shape, instead of erasing or "crossing out" . The disadvantage is that I haven't yet and may never be able to understand the positions and shapes as easily as the numbers. I'm thinking the shapes are worth the try.

Specifically, use the pattern (as at angusj) of
but use an open circle if you are very accurate, which I wasn't enough of. I think that better than a circle is a quarter or half circle if the postion is one of the four corners or one of the four sides. The 5 could remain represented by a full circle. In other words, start to put a circle in the position but omit parts (up to 3/4's) of it if you are on the edges.

When a number becomes a non-candidate, put a dot in the shape (to somewhat fill it in) . No eraser is needed until you make a mistake.

I need to buy a pencil-sharpener, at any rate.
Paul Majewski

Postby stuartn » Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:02 pm

They weren't symmetrical until they took off in Japan....... symmetry confers elegance I believe

stuartn
stuartn

Previous

Return to Advanced solving techniques