March 17 - Fiendish

All about puzzles in newspapers, magazines, and books

March 17 - Fiendish

Postby Tim » Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:32 pm

I'm stuck on today's puzzle. I've got this far but can't see the next move.
Can anyone help me?

8 * 2 | 7 * * | * 3 *
* * * | * * 4 | * 2 *
* * * | 2 * * | 1 7 *
-----------------------
* 8 6 | 1 2 * | * 9 *
1 * * | 4 * 5 | 2 8 6
* 2 * | 8 9 6 | 3 * 1
-----------------------
* 3 1 | * * 2 | * * *
* 4 8 | 3 * * | * * 2
2 * * | * * 8 | * * 3
Tim

Postby Pappocom » Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:01 pm

Hello Tim.

I'll call by on Sunday and see if you need help. It's a bit early to be really stuck yet!:)

Of course, others might choose to give you some help earlier than that. They are free to do so... but if anyone does, just a hint perhaps? - not a complete expose.

- Wayne
Pappocom

A hint

Postby simes » Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:24 am

The possibilities remaining in block 6 tells you something about what must be in the centre cell in block 5.

... or is that not vague enough?
simes

Postby shakers » Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:42 pm

Having the the recipient of Wayne's kindly hints before, I think this one is suitably vague!:D
shakers

Postby braychurchmouse » Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:45 pm

Just a question to boost my ego (or not:( ) !!!

I'm the sort who tries anything once (usually just the once)...so when someone talked the other day about Sudoku I thought I'd try it. Unfortunately yesterday's Times was "fiendish" but I thought I'd have a go anyway.

It reminded me of the time I tried to solve Rubik's cube...took me 2 days..never again.

I started from scratch with No 94 (17th March)...didn't know there were "hints and tips" on the web site, but slowly I evolved a few processes. Took me 2 hours.

So my question is... can I pat myself on the back...or is it rather a pathetic effort??? for a complete beginner that is.

...and imagine my pleasure in checking the solution this morning!!!

But never again...what a complete and utter waste of time...and all just to prove that I could do it.:)
braychurchmouse

Postby Tim » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:36 pm

Thank you for your vague hint!!

I have now completed the puzzle, not believing how I did not notice that the 7 in block 6 could only go on the top row & therefore a 7 had to go in the middle cell of block 5. Once I had done that, the rest was fairly simple.

Now on to today's puzzle!!
Tim

Postby simes » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:57 pm

A pleasure. Perhaps you can now give me a hint, cos I can't complete it.

Code: Select all

What's the next step?
simes

Postby Tim » Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:56 pm

Look in the top left block.

I write in the boxes all the possibilities that can go in each cell and find it really helps. You should be able to deduce which number goes in the bottom right corner of block 1, just by looking in that block.

Hope I was vague enough?!!
Tim

Postby simes » Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:26 am

Yes. Too vague. Perhaps when I sober up, I'll see the logic, but at the mo, it eludes me. (Perhaps it'll elude me when I'm sober too? Oh no! I might be an idiot!)

Anyone want to give a more concrete hint? Like a x,y (or r,c - I'm flexible) coordinnate - and a reason why?
simes

Postby Tim » Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:40 am

Ok if you look at the top left block which looks like this:

8 * 2
* 1 *

The 2 numbers above & below the 1 have to be 5 & 6 (but we don't know yet which way round - but that doesn't matter yet) as they are the only two numbers left to be put into column 2.

Also by simple elimination you can work out that only a 4 or a 5 can go in the bottom right corner of this block. But since the 5 has to go in the centre column of this block the 4 therefore is the only number left to go in the bottom right corner.

Hope this helps
Tim

Postby simes » Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:55 am

Gotcha. Ta! I think!
simes

"a complete and utter waste of time" - SORRY

Postby braychurchmouse » Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:35 am

I realise that my comment was rather offensive, for which I apologise to all you experts. Of course what I meant was that I was just sitting there trying to massage my ego instead of digging the garden, writing a novel or finding a cure for the common cold.:)

Nevertheless my question remains...did I do well at my first attempt? or was it rather pathetic? (ie Times No 94 March 17th "fiendish" in 2 hrs not knowing any of the "hints and tips" or processes you experts use ).... I am eager to know.

Thanks in advance to any responders.
braychurchmouse

Postby braychurchmouse » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:38 pm

I realise that this thread is rather ancient by now....but do I conclude from the lack of response to my question in an earlier post that you are all too busy solving Sudoku puzzles to set my mind at rest? I can only conclude that 2 hrs for a complete beginner on a "fiendish" is really not very good and certainly not worth a comment from the fraternity??? Pity...I was rather pleased with myself.
braychurchmouse

Postby shakers » Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:00 pm

braychurchmouse wrote:I realise that this thread is rather ancient by now....but do I conclude from the lack of response to my question in an earlier post that you are all too busy solving Sudoku puzzles to set my mind at rest? I can only conclude that 2 hrs for a complete beginner on a "fiendish" is really not very good and certainly not worth a comment from the fraternity??? Pity...I was rather pleased with myself.

I would have said that 2 hours for your first fiendish wasn't at all bad! I can't remember how long my first one took (probably over two hours knowing me...), but solving Sudokus is certainly something you'll get faster at! I think a fiendish now takes me 20-30 minutes.
shakers

Postby braychurchmouse » Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:12 pm

Thanks Shakers. That's a tough target to reach!!
braychurchmouse

Return to Published puzzles