Making a puzzle

Post the puzzle or solving technique that's causing you trouble and someone will help

Making a puzzle

Postby Chessmaster » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:31 pm

this is not so much a puzzle i need help solving but how do you make a good sudoku puzzle. i have made some but i do not know how to make one where you are given few numbers.
Chessmaster

Postby QBasicMac » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:34 pm

Just wondering why you want to make puzzles - there are zillions available and I think this site is sponsored by the author of a program that will give you all the puzzles you want.

Unless you are a hobby programmer. If so, what is your language? If QBasic, come to the classic forum at www.qbasic.com and get help. We have written several.

If you imagine to do it yourself with pencil and paper, I've heard very skilled Japanese experts can do that. I've heard they have 81 people on a team, each one responsible for one square. (Probably just tall tales). But I don't think it is very easy. You need to be some kind of special-gifted person.

But any programmer can write a program that will do pretty good.

Mac
QBasicMac

Making Puzzles

Postby PhatFingers » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:52 am

I have a couple of suggestions that can get you rolling.

1. If a given puzzle has all the numbers filled in, then you can cut 3 strips off the top and paste it on the bottom, or 3 strips off the right and paste it on the left. You can also rotate or mirror-image a completed puzzle and it will still be valid. Same is true if you swap any two digits. Repeat any combination of these steps a random number of times and you've got a good starting point.

2. Given a completed puzzle, try and find two (or four) symmetrical squares that you could logically put back in place if they were removed. Repeat until you can't remove any more squares.

That ought to do it. The more creative you can become in practicing step two, the better the quality of your puzzles will be.
PhatFingers

Postby Wolfgang » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:07 pm

Wolfgang

Postby Pi » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:43 pm

Pi

Postby QBasicMac » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:45 pm

Pi wrote:I will show you how i made the puzzle in a couple of minutes but i am quite busy right now

LOL! Got some spare time, now?

Mac
QBasicMac

Postby Pi » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:49 pm

Oh i see i wrote that a while and forgot about it.

I will do it when i have finished my maths coursework
Pi

Postby Wer ist das? » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:50 pm

1.Ever solve horryzontally.
2. Look at all the numbers in the 9x9 su.do.ku..
3.Be patient
4. and good luck :!:
Wer ist das?

Postby Javier Cia » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:15 pm

Get a completed/solved sudoku.
Take the nine digits (first line) in the solved sudoku
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
and substitute them for digits in second line.
Each 1 will be 9; 2 will be 8 and so on.
When every digit has been substituted you will have a new sudoku.
Change the second line to read
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 1
and you will have another possibility... and again, and again...
Javier
Javier Cia

Return to Help with puzzles and solving techniques