Magic Minesweeper

For fans of all other kinds of logic puzzles

Magic Minesweeper

Postby Pyrrhon » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:19 pm

I saw a crossover between Magic Square and Minesweeper made by Olga Leontieva. I like this puzzle variant and so I made some own examples. Here is one of them.

Magic Minesweeper

In every row and column is exactly one circle, one square, one triangle and one moon. Locate the position of these symbols. The numbers in the grid indicate the number of cells occupied by symbols in adjazent cells, including diagonally. Symbols are not on the numbered squares.

Smaller example with two symbols:

Puzzle:

Pyrrhon

Postby Ruud » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:39 pm

Nice puzzle.

I would have expected more interplay between the minesweeper and the alldifferent aspects. Most of the cells containing a symbol can be isolated without looking at the symbol placements, except for the top 2 rows.

Ruud
Ruud

Postby Pyrrhon » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:53 pm

With respect to the color blind printers the puzzle now is black and white.

It is not so easy to make magic square and minesweeper interacting here. Really I think the minesweeper puzzles I made are more difficult then this puzzle. Besides the different symbols and the minesweeper you have here the aspect that 4 mines are in each row and column which enables the use of some battleship techniques.

Even in Olga Leontievas Magic Minesweeper you can find all mines at first and then you have to find the symbols. (I'm not able to do the second step. I can only find the placement of the triangle in C1.) Probably it is a property of this puzzle kind that you can find the mines at first and then you have to work the magic square. It seems that you need a greater number of given symbols (and a smaller number of given numbers) to beat this.

Have a nice year

Pyrrhon

BTW: The password reminder in your sudocue forum seems not to work. At least at my computers.
Pyrrhon

Postby Pyrrhon » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:52 am

I see now that Leontievas puzzle isn't unique. To make it unique you can set for example R13=triangle,R15=circle or R13=triangle, R15=moon, R55=square or ...

Pyrrhon
Pyrrhon

Return to Other logic puzzles