Linux apps for sudoku?

Programs which generate, solve, and analyze Sudoku puzzles

Linux apps for sudoku?

Postby enxio27 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:52 pm

Any good ones you can recommend? Any that we all know and love that can be run under Linux? I'm looking more for something that will catalogue, rate, and print rather than an app that lets/helps me solve on the computer. Occasionally, though, I use a solver to give me a hint or three when I get stuck.
enxio27

Re: Linux apps for sudoku?

Postby yzfwsf » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:16 am

XSUDO, the author(Allan Barker) revealed that it has switched to linux, but I don’t know where to download it.
yzfwsf

Postby denis_berthier » Fri May 07, 2021 5:42 am

enxio27 wrote:Any good ones you can recommend? Any that we all know and love that can be run under Linux? I'm looking more for something that will catalogue, rate, and print rather than an app that lets/helps me solve on the computer. Occasionally, though, I use a solver to give me a hint or three when I get stuck.

Sudoku Explainer is written in Java and runs on any platform. It will give you the standard SE rating. I have no reference where to download it, but I can send it in a zip.
SudoRules (https://github.com/denis-berthier/CSP-Rules-V2.1) is written in CLIPS and can run on any platform. It will give you the Z, W, B, gW, gB, ... ratings.

Both are delivered with full source code.
Both can rate whole files of puzzles given in the standard string format.

I don't know what you expect to "print"; SudoRules allows you to pretty-print a puzzle given in string format into a grid format. It also allows you to print the full resolution path (with various settings to control which details you want). I'm not familiar enough with SE to tell whether it can print its full output (I don't think so.)

You can also search GitHub. You'll find hundreds of Sudoku solvers that can run on Linux.
denis_berthier
2010 Supporter

Postby enxio27 » Mon May 17, 2021 5:39 pm

Thanks to you both! I already have Sudoku Explainer. I forgot that java apps can run on any platform. I assume that also holds true for JSudoku (which I also still have). I'll take a look at the wide, wild world of GitHub. I decided to keep a dual-boot system, so in a pinch I can revert to Win7 if I can't find any suitable Linux alternatives for what I want to do.
enxio27

Return to Software