Level of Difficulty

All about puzzles in newspapers, magazines, and books

Level of Difficulty

Postby timmytime » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:06 am

I've noticed that the level of difficulty, which used to be included at the bottom of the puzzle, has been omitted. I do the puzzle in the Washington Post. I don't know if this is "Pappocom-wide" or just in my newspaper. On Mondays & Tuesdays, the puzle was "easy." On Wednesdays & Thursdays, it was "medium." And on Fridays & Saturdays, the puzzle was "hard."
The difficulty rating served as a helpful guide to me. On Mondays & Tuesdays, I would skip the puzzle because it was too easy. Please restore the difficulty rating.
timmytime

Postby Glyn » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:36 pm

timmytime Welcome to the forum.
I think the tendency in most newspapers is to increase the difficulty level as the week goes on. It holds for a couple of papers I take in the UK that source their puzzles from elsewhere.

I guess Monday is usually the most stressful day at work with Friday being the most welcome. A really demanding Sudoku at the beginning of the week might be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Of course if you browse around here you'll find puzzles that make anything printed seem like a walk in the park.
Glyn

Return to Published puzzles