Lawrence Journal World

All about puzzles in newspapers, magazines, and books

Lawrence Journal World

Postby sudophil » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:04 am

This paper lists Fri, Sat and Sun as hard but I've yet to see any need more than an occassional triplet.

How about sending them something a little tougher if they are going to be calling them 'hard'

Thanks
sudophil

Postby tarek » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:29 am

hi sudophil,

"Hard" is relative..........

If you become a forum regular then the newspaper stuff becomes too easy, making the adjective less objective.....

I'm sure most of the population though still consider them hard.......

tarek
tarek

Postby sudophil » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:14 pm

Actually, I was thinking relative too, only to another paper not difficulty. Since I saw the K.C. Star nearby, publishing hard ones needing chains to solve, I figure this rag ought to be doing some as well.

I'm hoping papacom will send them some tougher ones.
sudophil

Postby tarek » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:22 am

Most of the newspapers here in the UK set their "HARD" level just below quads........

The adjectives used for something which may be of interest to you would be (Insane, Nightmare, Unsolvable........).

The "Hard" puzzle which you are referring to is actually the odd one out in this sea of published "Hard" puzzles.

I do agree though that we need more difficult puzzles. This forum has plenty & some of them are grouped according to a level of difficulty that you would not find commonly in newspapers...

tarek
tarek

Return to Published puzzles