Junior or Adult?

All about puzzles in newspapers, magazines, and books

Junior or Adult?

Postby george-no1 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:00 pm

I am 14 and I want to enter the Junior section of the Times Su Doku Championships, but if there are only 50 places available and if I enter I will probably not have a time in the top 50. However, on today's (Tuesday's) adult qualification puzzle, I got a time of 8 minutes 43 seconds, which is below average for me, even for a normal Fiendish.

I was wondering whether I might have more chance of getting through with this time, given that children aged between 12 and 16 are very likely to lie about their time, and there is no entry fee for this age category. I will, of course, be entering Thursday's 12-16 puzzle anyway, but I would like to know whether or not it's worth it (or even if I'm allowed - and what would happen if I happened to qualify for both events?) to enter for the adult competition as well.

I suppose this question is directed mainly at Pappocom, but I would welcome advice from anyone.

Thanks in advance,

George:)
george-no1

Postby silvercar » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:35 am

From the instructions, "You can enter only once each day." So enter for Tuesday and Thursday.

If you read the terms and conditions, "Contestants over the age of 16 will be required to pay an entry fee of £25." Therefore you shouldn't be charged even if you qualify through an adult competition.

Good Luck!
silvercar

Postby gmc » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:08 pm

go for it mate- if you can do that puzzle in 9 minutes then you are a better man than me, Gunga Din
gmc

Postby Pi » Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:50 pm

So which did you enter and did you get through, i am 15 and had the same problem, i entered the junior competition on that day but the adult competition on the other days, i can't remember my time for the junior puzzle but i diddn't qualify, however i got a reserve place in the adult competion, most feindish sudoku takle me between 10 and 18 mins, you are very ood if you got that one done in 8 mins
Pi

Postby george-no1 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:13 pm

I entered Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday's Junior and Friday

Only just got back from holiday, but there wasn't a letter in the post, which is disappointing, as people with slower times appear to have qualified ahead of me, unless I have read this topic wrongly, which is quite possible.

Any thoughts?

George:)
george-no1

Return to Published puzzles