Japanese Magazines

All about puzzles in newspapers, magazines, and books

Japanese Magazines

Postby Lindy » Tue May 03, 2005 5:52 pm

Hi

I import three Sudoku magazines from Japan, called Nanpure Joy, Nanpure Joy Special and Nanpure Fan. These magazines have some truly amazing variations, making a nice change from the standard puzzles. Does anyone else here get Japanese magazines? If so, which ones? Also, does anyone know of any Japanese bookstores in the UK outside of London?

Kind regards
Lindy
Lindy

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Tue May 03, 2005 9:18 pm

May I ask, how do you get these magazines and do they cost a fortune?

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby Lindy » Wed May 04, 2005 5:22 pm

Hi Luna

I get the books imported by the Japan Centre Bookshop in Central London. The cost is around £5 per magazine, £6 for the special, but that may be more if mail order is included. Steep in price, but worth it in value. There's usually 100+ puzzles in them, with variations that I've not seen anywhere else. Other resources are via the Internet - I've heard Fujisan.com is popular for mail order, but also pricey. If you are in the States, there's a chain of Japanese bookshops called Kinokuniya that has these magazines in store. Alternatively, it might be good if you have contacts in the States who could send you one-off copies for you to look at, before subscribing anywhere. Hope this helps.

Lindy
Lindy

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Wed May 04, 2005 5:43 pm

Hi Lindy

Thanks for that. Actually I'm in Scotland and the only magazine I've seen is the WH Smith one - which I can't get my hands on because of my father! - but I'll look around and see what I can dig up.

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Return to Published puzzles