Is this unusual?

Programs which generate, solve, and analyze Sudoku puzzles

Is this unusual?

Postby Parky » Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:44 pm

I tried my first Suduko a few months ago and quickly discovered that I was not very good at them and in fact quickly got bored.

However, it immediately struck me that writing a program to solve the confounded things would be a worthy exercise.

I have just completed a program that has so far never failed on a Times "fiendish" and has only been found wanting once on something I found on the internet categorised as "evil".

Although I am still bored by doing Sudukos myself, refining my program to address its existing deficiencies has become an obsession.

Is this an acceptable state of affairs, or am I in need of "help"?

By the way, can anyone provide an explanation of the Swordfish and X-men (or indeed any other cunning) techniques?
Parky

Re: Is this unusual?

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:04 pm

Parky wrote:Although I am still bored by doing Sudukos myself, refining my program to address its existing deficiencies has become an obsession.

Is this an acceptable state of affairs, or am I in need of "help"?

Nope, not in need of "help", although what you find acceptable is of course up to you:D . You'll be reassured to know that it's happened before and will no doubt happen again. There is a Programmers Forum here (in case you need to know, click on the blue writing).
Parky wrote:By the way, can anyone provide an explanation of the Swordfish and X-men (or indeed any other cunning) techniques?

The search function at the top of the screen is really good for this type of thing - in the event you know the name of said technique, otherwise try the Solving Techniques section. BTW it's X-wings.

Alternatively you might try AngusJ or Madoverlord or Sadman for techniques and explanations:D

Welcome to the Forum, and good luck!

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby Parky » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:49 pm

Luna,

Thanks for the welcome, the links and the reassurance!

The programmers' forum is a scary place. "Leading edge" appears to be solving 1000 Sudokos in 0.1s, which means that my best effort so far is at best barely out of the starting blocks!

Maybe I'll have to try solving a few "by hand"...
Parky

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:47 pm

Parky wrote:Luna,

Thanks for the welcome, the links and the reassurance!

The programmers' forum is a scary place. "Leading edge" appears to be solving 1000 Sudokos in 0.1s, which means that my best effort so far is at best barely out of the starting blocks!

Maybe I'll have to try solving a few "by hand"...

You're welcome.

Yes, I don't spend too much time there (programmer's forum) myself but don't be put off, the programmer's forum is populated with people who've being programming solvers for a while and so have had lot's of practice.

Keep at it and ask questions, that's how you learn!

Good luck.

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Return to Software