Is this technique already invented yet?

Post the puzzle or solving technique that's causing you trouble and someone will help

Is this technique already invented yet?

Postby Xwtek » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:12 am

Is this technique already invented yet? It cannot solve sudoku, but I find this technique very useful:
We focus at a single digit. Two homes are connected for a digit n if there are two candidates on each home sharing the same row/column. Note that this relation is generally not transitive.
Then a digit n is entangled if there is a loop of connected homes A > B > C > ... > D > A for that digit so that the homes are not collinear. (i.e. A and B is connected, B and C is connected, ..., ... and D is connected, and D and A is connected for that digit, and all homes are not from the same row or column).
An unentangled digit will remain unentangled forever.
An unentangled digit means that after single and intersection rule, pattern overlay will fail to remove any candidate, so it's best to leave an unentangled digit alone and focus on the sill entangled digit.
This is also useful for a pattern overlay shortcut as all digits in an unentangled pattern will be overlaid. Also, when there are two homes that is connected and neither is connected to another home from the same row/column and one of them is not connected to any other home, you can ignore the row/column (of the same axis) placement of the candidate and only concentrate on the column/row (of different axis) of the candidate. on that home.
Xwtek

Re: Is this technique already invented yet?

Postby yzfwsf » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:01 pm

A picture is worth a thousand words.
yzfwsf

Postby Pupp » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:21 pm

I just started to leaned Sudoku in Oct. 2019, but stalled out after 3 weeks.

After the pandemic hit in March 2020 I started really digging into Sudoku. Off and on, I'd think maybe I was either doing a technique I didn't actually learn (but managed to solve a puzzle)...

...or think maybe I'd invented a new technique.

It was neither. Just lucky guesses. Essentually a person can zero in on a key square (probably not the puzzle's intended key square), and logically deduce the square to 2 pencil mark numbers....one which has a very good chance at solving the puzzle. After meditating on the puzzle, looking at wild ways to eliminate a number I finally think I know which number the cell has...

...but in reality, I did correctly eliminate numbers, (if more than 2 pencil marks), and got lucky on the 50/50 chance of picking the correct number.
Pupp

Postby Pupp » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:51 pm

I'd reccomend Sudoku 10,000 Pro.

The few dollars needed to get rid of the adverts is a welcome change to a constant barrage of adverts.

Either way, it's difficulty levels are well paced until you get to the end of the VERY HARD section. -By then you will have mastered enough techniques that your well beyond a casual player.

At the fiendish level, you will start getting into stuff that's really difficult.

But anybody that can get past the 1250 very hard puzzles can safely say they're more than a casual player.

Solving all the FIENDISH puzzles would make you a serious player.

Solving the NIGHTMARE puzzles would be an expert.

Installing and solving BEYOND NIGHTMARE puzzles would make you a god of sudoku.

I actually took a long break from Sudoku and just getting back into the game. I solved a few HARD puzzles before deciding I needed to go back down to ADVANCED levels as a refresher.
Pupp

Return to Help with puzzles and solving techniques