Is it me or the puzzle it's something wrong with?

Post the puzzle or solving technique that's causing you trouble and someone will help

Is it me or the puzzle it's something wrong with?

Postby Yalla » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:21 pm

This one had a difficulty rating of 4/5, but I just can't work it out, and if I try it in the Simple Sudoku program, I get invalid move even though I'm doing the only thing possible... Am I doing anything wrong? Help!!

5*7 **6 ***
*4* 7*1 ***
*** 2*8 7*5

3*5 *** *1*
7** *2* **9
*1* *** 5*7

8*6 5*2 ***
*** 3*7 *6*
*** 8** 9*1
Yalla

Postby Karyobin » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:43 pm

Interesting. Of course, it would certainly help if you told us what it is that is giving you an 'Invalid Move' message, but I'll have a go at assisting. Be warned, the Stella Pixie rabbiteth in me shell-like once more...

To me, one of the most obvious starting points is to place a '7' at r4c5, which (as you're a newbie) means 'row 4, column 5' or 'middle box, top row, middle cell'. Is this what you're doing - is this your "only thing possible"?

If it is, then you need someone who knows the program you're using, and there are several highly clever chaps and potential chapesses who I have no doubt will be able to assist you. Pester simes or tso, it's about time those two worked for a living and a consultancy role would do their standing no harm at all.

If it isn't, then what are you doing?
Karyobin

Re: Is it me or the puzzle it's something wrong with?

Postby angusj » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:56 pm

Yalla wrote:if I try it in the Simple Sudoku program, I get invalid move even though I'm doing the only thing possible...

You've evidently made an error somewhere in a prior step. If you download the latest version of Simple Sudoku, these's an option in the help menu to "Block invalid moves". When that is ticked, the program will stop you whenever you try to assign a cell a wrong value or exclude the correct candidate.
angusj

Postby Karyobin » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:07 am

He's the other one.

Sorry Angus.
Karyobin

Return to Help with puzzles and solving techniques