is all this really necessary?

Everything about Sudoku that doesn't fit in one of the other sections

is all this really necessary?

Postby ramdeuja » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:12 pm

hi

maybe i'm missing something, but i tried to follow some of the explanations of "advanced technique" but it all sounds like making mountains out of molehills.

i don't do lots n lots of sudoku but haven't yet found one not solvable by basic logic and patience. true, i can't tell you mathematically WHY they work, and I can be slow, but I don't just guess and they always work out fine.

I have a book by Will Shortz and I do the Evil ones on websudoku.com.

so i guess my question is, do most of you guys go for speed and use the advanced techniques to go faster, or are there harder sudoku out there that I haven't found?

I'm not really interested in going fast, but if anyone knows of someplace to get harder ones, I'd like to know.

thanks!
ramdeuja

Postby ab » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:36 pm

have a go at the puzzle posted here:
http://forum.enjoysudoku.com/viewtopic.php?t=3558
ab

Re: is all this really necessary?

Postby tso » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:50 am

... do most of you guys go for speed and use the advanced techniques to go faster, or are there harder sudoku out there ...

The latter. Nearly all published puzzles top out at the level of a Poppocom Hard. Most tactics discussed in this forum are superfluous puzzles of this level or less.

ramdeuja wrote:I have a book by Will Shortz and I do the Evil ones on websudoku.com.

Neither source contains difficult puzzles. (Will Shortz should be ashamed at cashing in on the Sudoku fad without bringing *anything* new to the form -- cloyingly refering to them as "wordless crossword puzzles". In what sense? *Maybe* you could use this description for a *cross number puzzle* -- a puzzle that looks like a crosword and has clues like a crossword. Any respect I had for him as puzzle master has been halved.)

I'm not really interested in going fast, but if anyone knows of someplace to get harder ones, I'd like to know.

Try this link as a starting point.
tso

thanks or no thanks

Postby ramdeuja » Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:51 pm

thanks for the harder puzzles

trying one of vidar's. assuming i won't get far, any places to go for concise, well-written explanation of terminology and techniques?

i'll probably regret it, but thanks anyway
ramdeuja

Return to General