Independent - Super Su Doku

All about puzzles in newspapers, magazines, and books

Postby shakers » Thu May 05, 2005 7:30 am

lunababy_moonchild wrote:However, I think that 70 minutes for that puzzle is amazing and am wondering why it is you are now sticking to the classic 9 x 9 grid?

...because 70 mins to complete something which doesn't really require much thinking about is a waste of time! I can do the similar puzzles in The Times in roughly 10-15 minutes if I want, and it's just as satisfying.

I also found having to scan across 16 cells (rather than 9) tedious, and although I'd probably get faster if I practised, there's an element of not being bothered about doing so.

I've been wanting to try a 16x16 for a while now, so thanks for posting it, and the inherent call to action.:)
shakers

Re: Independent - Super Su Doku

Postby Guest » Thu May 12, 2005 9:53 am

possum wrote:I heard that there was a "super su doku" in yesterday's Independent. I just checked their site, where there was an article about the su doku, but I could not find the puzzle itself. Did anyone here see the paper? If so, please describe the puzzle!:)

I did this puzzle on Saturday. Apart from me accidentally writing a number in the wrong square which only lead to a contradiction later so I had to start again from scratch (because by that point i didn't know what number had been written in the wrong square) I solved this without making any notes at all.

IIRC you can fill in all the 0s and all but two of the 1s without filling in anything else at all at the beginning.

Tim.

Re: Independent - Super Su Doku

Postby Guest » Thu May 12, 2005 9:55 am

Anonymous wrote:
possum wrote:I heard that there was a "super su doku" in yesterday's Independent. I just checked their site, where there was an article about the su doku, but I could not find the puzzle itself. Did anyone here see the paper? If so, please describe the puzzle!:)

I did this puzzle on Saturday. Apart from me accidentally writing a number in the wrong square which only lead to a contradiction later so I had to start again from scratch (because by that point i didn't know what number had been written in the wrong square) I solved this without making any notes at all.

IIRC you can fill in all the 0s and all but two of the 1s without filling in anything else at all at the beginning.

Tim.

Actually I did the one on 8th May, not 1st May.

Independent Super Sudoku

Postby Guest » Tue May 24, 2005 5:30 pm

I got the Indy this Saturday because everywhere had run out of my usual SuDoku fix in The Times, so I was pleased to see the Super Sudoku, and the prize — a digital camera. I thought I'd got it finished by Sunday night, but now I'm stuck with two 7s in a column, everything else checking out. Tell me, do, you more experienced Sudoku-ers, is this intractible ie. do I have to start again from the beginning, or are there just a couple of numbers to swap?

Another thing to ponder: if someone wins by running it through a computer, are they a cheat? On the other hand, am I cheating to ask for help?

Postby Animator » Tue May 24, 2005 5:34 pm

Unfortunally you have to start again from the begining... unless you made very careful notes about what you did and when you did it, then there might be a way back (it would be difficult though)

Running it through a computer would definetly be cheating IMHO...

Asking for help is harder to tell... it might depend on the hints you get...
Animator

indy super sudoku

Postby Guest » Thu May 26, 2005 12:55 pm

can't believe you have to start over again. I've filled in the whole puzzle, it took days, only to find 2 D's in one line! I hate this game!!

Previous

Return to Published puzzles