Impossible puzzles

Programs which generate, solve, and analyze Sudoku puzzles

re: Ocean's "gold" list, #5

Postby Pat » Wed May 30, 2007 12:18 pm

wapati wrote:
Ocean wrote:Check for equivalence with this one, the so-called gold list #5:

Curious about what path the puzzle has taken to appear in its new form, and how it got its new name. I am pleased that somebody has enjoyed playing with it.

Ocean, to many of us that was a lawyer's answer.

Accurate, but of no use.

Can you attribute this puzzle (I think it is a morph of someone's, from what you said ) to anyone?

Further, do you know the first poster who named it "Qassim Hamza" ?

Thanks.

hey wapati,

to your first question:
as already stated by Ocean,
what oysterkite posted above as "Qassim Hamza"
is equivalent to a puzzle created by Ocean
and posted by him (2006.Nov.3) in our forum.
    this leaves Ocean's question open:
    who is it who transformed the puzzle from its original form to the equivalent form posted by oysterkite?
    ( or, is it conceivable that someone created the equivalent puzzle independently?? )
to your 2nd question:
as far as we can tell at the present time,
oysterkite's post above is the first use of the name "Qassim Hamza"
-- but perhaps he'll come back sometime and enlighten us.

~ Pat
Pat

Postby ronk » Wed May 30, 2007 12:57 pm

daj95376 wrote:wapati, I think Ocean was politely trying to say that it was one of his puzzles that was morphed into the puzzle in discussion. I suspect ronk already knew this and was trying to track down who did it.

Not quite. I knew the pattern was a morph of one extensively searched by Ocean, but didn't realize it was one of his puzzles too.
ronk
2012 Supporter

Postby daj95376 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:12 pm

oysterkite never returned, so I decided to search for Qassim Hamza using Google.

Wikipedia has a web page (see below) that references another web page where the puzzle has been removed. Fortunately, the original reference source for the puzzle is listed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decision-tree_pruning

Reference Source wrote:Lewis, R (2007) Metaheuristics Can Solve Sudoku Puzzles Journal of Heuristics, vol. 13 (4), pp 387-401.
daj95376
2014 Supporter

re: "Qassim Hamza"

Postby Pat » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:12 am

-- now that Vereth has re-posted it in another Topic -- and thanks to ronk who recognized it as a re-post of the "Qassim Hamza" --
daj95376 wrote:I decided to search for Qassim Hamza using Google.

WikiPedia has a web page (see below) --- Fortunately, the original reference source for the puzzle is listed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decision-tree_pruning

WikiPedia wrote:Lewis, R (2007)
Metaheuristics Can Solve Sudoku Puzzles
    Journal of Heuristics, vol. 13 (4), pp 387-401

daj95376, thanks for finding Wjfwiki's new article in the WikiPedia

-- now i wonder if anyone can dig up the Journal of Heuristics ??
and check the exact date of R. Lewis's 2007 article ??

what oysterkite posted above (2007.May.24) as "Qassim Hamza"
    is equivalent to a puzzle created by Ocean
    and posted by him (2006.Nov.3) in our forum
Pat

Postby Glyn » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:39 pm

Pat The Date given by Springer for it going online Tuesday, July 17, 2007.
It is in the Special August Edition entitled "Special CLAIO XII Issue on Advances and Applications of Heuristics." However as this conference took place in Cuba in October 2004 it is likely that this paper is additional to the proceedings.

Here is a link to a free version:) of Rhyd Lewis' paper (undated). Metaheuristics can Solve Sudoku Puzzles. No mention of Qassim Hamza in it though.

I'm sure the Wiki reference to this paper concerns the technique used and not the naming of the puzzle.

BTW The paper is definitely post August 2006 as in his PhD thesis he states it is for future publication. He is currently at the Cardiff Business School.
Edit
Following more detective work. The puzzle was added to the Wiki page "Algorithmics of Sudoku" on 12 August 2007 by AMcDermot after he saw it on this forum and created a JPG file (dated 24th May 2007). The JPG adds the words Memorial. My guess is it was morphed and renamed around the 15th November 2006, by whom will remain a mystery.
Glyn

re: "Qassim Hamza"

Postby Pat » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:24 am

Glyn wrote:It is in the Special August Edition entitled "Special CLAIO XII Issue on Advances and Applications of Heuristics." However as this conference took place in Cuba in October 2004 it is likely that this paper is additional to the proceedings.

Here is a link to a free version:) of Rhyd Lewis' paper (undated). Metaheuristics can Solve Sudoku Puzzles. No mention of Qassim Hamza in it though.

I'm sure the Wiki reference to this paper concerns the technique used and not the naming of the puzzle.

BTW The paper is definitely post August 2006 as in his PhD thesis he states it is for future publication. He is currently at the Cardiff Business School.

thanks thanks thanks

great detective work!!

first, just finding Rhydian Lewis (Rhydian Marc Rhys Lewis)---

as you said, his article doesn't mention "Qassim Hamza"
    i'd add that the article also doesn't seem to contain any such puzzle
    ( regardless of name )

Glyn wrote:The puzzle was added to the Wiki page "Algorithmics of Sudoku" on 12 August 2007 by AMcDermot after he saw it on this forum and created a JPG file (dated 24th May 2007). The JPG adds the words Memorial. My guess is it was morphed and renamed around the 15th November 2006, by whom will remain a mystery.

yes, this earlier WikiPedia article has been discussed (2008.Mar) in another Topic
Pat

re: Rhydian Lewis

Postby Pat » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:47 am

[ Off-Topic ]

i must admit i'm somewhat amused by the early part of R. Lewis's article --
Pat

Previous

Return to Software