"I'm wicked and I'm lazy..."

Advanced methods and approaches for solving Sudoku puzzles

"I'm wicked and I'm lazy..."

Postby Karyobin » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:30 pm

's true, I am. That being the case, I propose that what we need here are some directions to good quality (without getting into the vagaries of Pirsig's Quality debate) descriptions of the higher levels of reasoning that I have good reason to believe have been developed entirely by users of this site.

I am, of course, referring to XY-Wings, Turbot Fish and Forcing Chains, as well as Strong and Weak Links and any other relevant evolutionary by-product. We all know of the excellent sites devised by our compatriots to lead beginners into our little microcosm, but - and here's the reason for the post - I didn't bother to read all the ongoing discussions as these further methods were being developed. Consequently I find myself in a position to use these methods, but I occasionally muddle things a bit. As a result, I'd like some good, clear pointers to the specifics of such tactics.

I'd even settle for some links to good posts but let's be honest here, let's not set up links to any old thread wherein such-and-such is mentioned, let's really try to get the best ones.

Anyone up for the challenge?

(And the second part to the challenge is... can anybody post a link to a good Turbot Fish description before Nick70 does?)
Karyobin

Postby george-no1 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:35 pm

I'm up for the 2nd challenge, probably because I saw this post before Nick70. Try his original, excellent explanation of Turbot Fish here.

George:)
george-no1

Postby scrose » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:47 pm

Nick70 also wrote this detailed explanation of xy-wings, which I found quite helpful.
scrose

Postby stuartn » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:04 pm

Marvellous. This is what is needed. A single (devoted) strand giving full detail of the more exotic logic....or perhaps a linked site (angusj - are you watching?). Out of this falls a requirement (blimey - I'm talking in Project Management speak here!) for a 'development' strand to this august organ.

This also begs the question ....... have we reached the end of development already?

Stuart

www.brightonandhove.org/sudoku/solver5c.xls
Last edited by stuartn on Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
stuartn

Postby Karyobin » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:51 pm

God, I hope not - I can see mentat stuff on the horizon here! Because of our explorations (well yours, I'm just a hanger-on) our offspring will be viewing such puzzles with mental overlays akin to algorithmic filters allowing them to arrive at the solution to any cell instantaneously. They will transport the solution of sudoku from our limited and linear understanding to a wide-band and non-linear 'wall of thought'.

Their skills will translate to better decision-making by our political class; optimised distribution of global resources resulting in the elimination of poverty and disease; pollution-free, budget-price, faster-than-light travel; the removal of religious hatred and exceptional town-planning.

Sorry, Wednesday night is red wine night. Top stuff so far, keep 'em comin'.
Karyobin

Return to Advanced solving techniques