I'm new and i'm stuck!

Advanced methods and approaches for solving Sudoku puzzles

I'm new and i'm stuck!

Postby bobmi74 » Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:46 am

Okay, i bought a sudoku book the other day. The "Light and easy" ones really are light and easy. The "moderate" ones are REALLY hard to me. I had to cheat on the only ones i've finished (yes, but i was really mad at them). Anyways, i'm trying to learn these techniques and such but i'm not seeing how to apply them to the one i'm working right now. Would somebody point at a certain thing i might think about doing to get me going again? I don't konw how to post a puzzle, so i'll put the numbers i've already figured out in parenteses.

84(9).(5)...
.5.9..1(8)4
7(1).8(4)..9.
.3....42(9)
....76(8)..

I hope that is understandable. I'm stuck and such. could somebody explain a technique or something i could look at?
bobmi74

Postby bobmi74 » Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:18 am

i typed it from the top left to the bottom right. by rows from the top to the bottom. I dont see what my mistake is in the 4th row, since I haven't inserted a number there yet. I also don't see how there is only one place to put a seven and then an eight in the second row. I'll look into the triple thing that you were talking about.
bobmi74

Here's a hint

Postby ehornick » Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:05 am

In your second row, you have 2,3,6,7 remaining. However, the seven can only go in column 6 becausae there already is a 7 in the top left box and there also is a seven in column 5.

That should get you started. Good luck.

[I did finish this puzzle, so what you had done to this point is indeed correct]
ehornick

Return to Advanced solving techniques