I am primarily a pen and paper solver

Advanced methods and approaches for solving Sudoku puzzles

Re: I am primarily a pen and paper solver

Postby ghfick » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:36 pm

Hi SpAce,
I used the .png graphic format. The visuals look fine. I know of no specific forum rules otherwise.
Gordon
ghfick

Postby ghfick » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:48 am

It has been almost two years since I have added to this thread. I continue to like to create puzzles using HoDoKu. I create puzzles that have all of HoDoKu's default Hard steps plus I add XY chains. To avoid the drudge, I use the option to display the candidates. I now find that do not bother to 'white out' anymore. My X's do not seem to distract me these days. I remain very weak with finding AICs [that are not XY Chains} and ALS moves.

I do like the initiatives of StrmCkr and tarek to help one find the easier ALS moves like WXYZ and VWXYZ. Definitely for human solvers.

I do now search out the grouped 2 string kites and grouped skyscrapers. They are the perhaps the simplest grouped AICs. Also 3 string kites.

I like to use tarek's Sukaku Explainer and Sunnie's Sudoku Explainer as learning tools. Repetition seeing these moves in these solvers helps me to get them in my mindset.

I must highly recommend Phil's Folly for JE and for MSLS, in particular.

A new project called YZF_Sudoku holds considerable promise. The developer of YZF_Sudoku has implemented very thorough JE and MSLS. The JE will find aligned targets and will find exclusions from IBPs. With all possible steps, you can see all the various MSLS. The interface for YZF_Sudoku is inspired by HoDoKu although it is not Java based. It is my hope that the developer will add more of the HoDoKu UI features.

I have learnt so much from David P Bird's writings. Like the very best advanced technical writers, one benefits from returning to his writing again and again. No way you get it all right away. In a way, that is a good thing. For me, I am still returning and studying.
ghfick

Postby ghfick » Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:31 pm

Yet another two years has passed. I thought I would give a short update on my 'human' solving. I do not mark up strong links anymore. I found that the clutter was too much and the direct search for strong links can be done when it seems to be the right time.
I now find XY-Chains of any length and I now find all the different URs with some ease. I occasionally find WXYZ-Wings but there are so many variations so they are often missed.
I now use YZF_Sudoku a lot. When I reach an impasse, I go to YZF_Sudoku for a 'next step' and then some further learning.
I remain hopeless with general AICs.
I have begun to explore piecing together short 'named' AICs together with XY-Chains. I have not found this 'technique' mentioned on the forum but maybe I have missed it. Sudoku Swami mentions this idea briefly in one of his excellent videos. He gives an example where he starts with a 2 String Kite that gives no exclusions and then he adds a few more links to one end of the 2SK to get some success. He suggests how general this approach might be. Of course, the wealth of AICs is only going to scratched by this approach but maybe there is some promise with some puzzles.
Maybe this idea is discussed on this forum. Please do advise me.
ghfick

Previous

Return to Advanced solving techniques