I am a newbie stuck please help

Post the puzzle or solving technique that's causing you trouble and someone will help

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:23 am

Hints and tips on how to post puzzles here : New topics - How to ask for help [Updated: 01 February 2006]

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby lb2064 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:05 pm

lunababy_moonchild wrote:Hints and tips on how to post puzzles here : New topics - How to ask for help [Updated: 01 February 2006]

Luna

Hi Luna - I would suggest that the title of this section be changed to:

"Help with unpublished puzzles"

Also you could change the wordings below this to:

"Only post unpublished puzzles here that's causing you trouble to get help with solving it"

Finally, you may want a WELCOME NEWBIES section (just above the ANNOUNCEMENTS) that says "Please read beefore you start posting". Here you could the place instructions, terminologies, etc.

This may make things more transparent to newbies.
Just a thought.

Thanks.
lb2064

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:59 pm

lb2064 wrote:Hi Luna - I would suggest that the title of this section be changed to:

"Help with unpublished puzzles"

Indeed, but the post does contain other information on how to get help and with posting in general.

lb2064 wrote:Also you could change the wordings below this to:

"Only post unpublished puzzles here that's causing you trouble to get help with solving it"

Indeed, but it does say :"You should only post your questions/problems in this section of the forum if you have a problem with an unpublished puzzle. " Which is the same thing.

lb2064 wrote:Finally, you may want a WELCOME NEWBIES section (just above the ANNOUNCEMENTS) that says "Please read beefore you start posting". Here you could the place instructions, terminologies, etc.

This may make things more transparent to newbies.

Good idea, care to write an example of what you're looking for? Us oldies sometimes don't see what's right in front of us:D

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby lb2064 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:56 pm

Luna - I think you misunderstood my post. I wasn't referring to the post you make here which I think is great. I was referring to the Index section of the Forum when you first get on the site.

#1) The exact wording of the title of this section says:

"Help with particular puzzles"

I only suggest adding the word "unpublished".

#2) The exact wording under the section Title says:

"Post the puzzle that's causing you trouble and get help with solving it"

Again I was suggesting just adding "unpublished" to the current wording.

#3) In terms of a Welcome section before the Announcement Section, exactly what you wrote in your initially post would be a good start. Tell newbies what the different sections are about; the terminologies that you linked to your post. Also a link to the post on the different techniques.

A simple introductory post such as:

Welcome!! Here are some sites you may want to consider before beginning your posting:

Hints and tips on how to post puzzles here : New topics - How to ask for help [Updated: 01 February 2006]

An Index to Sudoku Techniques can be found here:
http://www.setbb.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=379&mforum=sudoku

And so on. Just things like this. I'm sure more suggestions will come up from Newbies once the Section is up.

I don't want to cause any additional work but newbies post published puzzles here so often that they must be missing something.

It's just a thought/suggestion.
lb2064

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:56 pm

lb2064 wrote:Luna - I think you misunderstood my post. I wasn't referring to the post you make here which I think is great. I was referring to the Index section of the Forum when you first get on the site.

Think I did, thanks for explaining this.

lb2064 wrote:#3) In terms of a Welcome section before the Announcement Section, exactly what you wrote in your initially post would be a good start. Tell newbies what the different sections are about; the terminologies that you linked to your post. Also a link to the post on the different techniques.

A simple introductory post such as:

Welcome!! Here are some sites you may want to consider before beginning your posting:

An Index to Sudoku Techniques can be found here:
http://www.setbb.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=379&mforum=sudoku

And so on. Just things like this. I'm sure more suggestions will come up from Newbies once the Section is up.

I don't want to cause any additional work but newbies post published puzzles here so often that they must be missing something.

It's just a thought/suggestion.

Good idea, I'll take it under advisement - as they say!

Just so that you know, although I moderate the site very strictly, where somebody posts something isn't that strict. So don't worry too much about where you, or anybody else posts, if need be the post can be moved. I'll also draw your attention to this : Calling Wayne Thread where Wayne himself has expressed his opinion on the site. Doesn't mean that suggestions can't be made, of course.

Hope that helps

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Previous

Return to Help with puzzles and solving techniques