How to resolve sudokus. First Chapter.

Advanced methods and approaches for solving Sudoku puzzles

Postby sudoker » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:06 pm

In this lessons we will explain how to resolve easily sudokus. Time to time we will be add some new techniques ordered in increasing difficulty.

Before we start we will review the basic rules of this game:

It consists of a 9x9 grid, divided in 9 blocks of 3x3, that have to be filled up so all rows, columns and blocks (3x3) contain numbers 1 to 9 without repeting.

In this first lesson we will review some useful advices for solving sudokus.

1. Use a pencil. Its more comfortable to do sudokus with a pencil than in the computer. In addition, you can erase easily the pencil.
  2. Practise gradually. Its very common that many newspaper and magazines do not rank by difficulty sudokus, so its very difficult for newbies finish some sudokus. In PrintSudoku.com we sort the sudokus in order that you practice with sudokus agreed at your level. The more high it is the difficult level the more difficult will be to put the numbers and, in the case of the very hard ones, sometimes you will have to estimate plays.
  3. In order to estimate plays there is nothing better than write the numbers candidates in the top left corner of the cell in a margin, after you discard a number over line it.
  4. Play slowly sudoku is a relaxed game. Some sudokus can be solved in minutes but in others you will have to spend hours or in special cases days too.
  5. Sudokus well formed has an only solution.
  6. Be methodical. Check your plays time to time. A failure in the beginning can be disastrous.
  7. If you do not find a possible solution request help, or try the sudoku at another moment. Sometimes the solution appears when you aren't in front of the sudoku:) .

If you want to say something, please post a comment.
sudoker

Re: How to resolve sudokus. First Chapter.

Postby Shazbot » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:15 pm

sudoker wrote:Its more comfortable to do sudokus with a pencil than in the computer. In addition, you can erase easily the pencil

Not necessarily - I MUCH prefer to use a computer, and erasing a pencil mark just needs the click of a button - no time, no mess, no chance of erasing NEEDED pencil marks in the process.

sudoker wrote:in the case of the very hard ones, sometimes you will have to estimate plays.

Do you mean guess? I don't believe that to be the case - well formed sudokus should be able to be completed without guessing - though the technique required may be so advanced it LOOKS like only guessing will help - it just means the player has a little more to learn and practice.
Shazbot

Re: How to resolve sudokus. First Chapter.

Postby Cec » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:20 pm

sudoker wrote:
"Before we start we will review the basic rules of this game".....

"In this first lesson we will review some useful advices for solving sudokus."

"Its more comfortable to do sudokus with a pencil than in the computer. In addition, you can erase easily the pencil."

If you want to say something, please post a comment.

Probably sticking my neck out here but here goes:

The rules of this game are aptly described when logging onto this forum.
Other sections include 'how to solve', the recommended "Basic terms", computer programs, players' forums (which post numerous hints) and excellent links to assist puzzle solving.

Why is there a need to "review the basic rules"?

I also find it easier to load a puzzle into a computer program rather than the eraser and pencil nightmare when holes go through the newspaper from having to pencil in numerous candidates for difficult puzzles.

Cec
Cec

Postby Hud » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:39 pm

I prefer using the computer also, but if I get stuck I can usually print it and find the magic clue while watching TV.
Hud

Return to Advanced solving techniques