How to get faster results at the easy/ medium stage?

Post the puzzle or solving technique that's causing you trouble and someone will help

How to get faster results at the easy/ medium stage?

Postby DreamCH » Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:34 pm

Hi all:D

My English may be a little bit shaky, but I`m addicted to this game anyway...after about 6 months my solving speed is still 10 minutes for a sudoku found at www.websudoku.com (stage: medium).

I simply want to know how you became "good" at this game?

Particulary I wonder how you judge to *look at another place* without trying to fill in what simply needs other given clues.

Scanning from 1 to 9 seems to be a good first step, however, where to look carefully after this walk- trough.

Thanks for your answers!

DreamCH
DreamCH

Postby underquark » Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:29 pm

After scanning for each number, I find imagining what candidates are possible for a given cell and then looking for pairs and triples the next useful step.
underquark

Postby qqwref » Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:22 am

Well, if you're only doing easy/medium puzzles, you'll probably only be finding naked and hidden singles. I can provide one or two tips for finding these faster:
- First look for hidden singles, because those are easier to find. Hidden singles are when a number can only be in one place in a row, column, or box. Look at a row or column of boxes (for example, boxes 4-6); if a number is in the first row in the first box, and the third row in the second box (or whatever), then it must be somewhere in the second row in the third box. This is easy to see and it's faster than looking for each number in each box, because you just have to consider the clues (what you already have). It's most common to use this whenever you already have two of a number in a row or column of boxes. This won't give you all of the hidden singles, but it will help with a lot of them.
- For naked singles (where only one number can fit in a place), look for a specific column, row, or box with four or more numbers already in it. Then make a mental list of the numbers that aren't there; let's say it's 4679. Look at each cell in that row, column, or box, and check what numbers (out of 4679) it can't be. So if a cell can't be 4, 7, or 9, you know immediately it's 6, and now you can look at that column, row, or box again with the list 479 (because the 6 is there now).

I hope that helps... and I hope someone else can explain it better.
qqwref

Postby FEARDIZ » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:58 pm

try this program and use the filters built in http://angusj.com/sudoku/
you'll be doing extreme in no time
FEARDIZ

Postby DreamCH » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:53 am

Well, I can recommend www.intosudoku.com as well but I try to learn "to see" the patterns without it..going from medium to harder stage now...*hopefully*

Thanks for your answers!

DreamCH
DreamCH

Return to Help with puzzles and solving techniques