How to Ask for "Help Without Guessing"

Post the puzzle or solving technique that's causing you trouble and someone will help

How to Ask for "Help Without Guessing"

Postby daj95376 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:17 pm

I would like to propose a change in the way people ask for Help on a puzzle and then insist that the answer be without guessing.

From now on, no one answers such a request unless the person making the request specifies which techniques he/she considers acceptable.

You don't have to agree with the requester's list, you simply limit your reply to those techniques ... period!!!

This should end a lot of bickering that seems to occur.

Maybe this could even be made part of the Sticky on how to ask for help!
daj95376
2014 Supporter

Re: How to Ask for "Help Without Guessing"

Postby ronk » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:05 pm

daj95376 wrote:From now on, no one answers such a request unless the person making the request specifies which techniques he/she considers acceptable.

You don't have to agree with the requester's list, you simply limit your reply to those techniques ... period!!!

LOL!!! Since many people asking for help know the names of only a few techniques, if any, ... that's totally unreasonable.
ronk
2012 Supporter

Re: How to Ask for "Help Without Guessing"

Postby daj95376 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:36 pm

ronk wrote:
daj95376 wrote:From now on, no one answers such a request unless the person making the request specifies which techniques he/she considers acceptable.

LOL!!! Since many people asking for help know the names of only a few techniques, if any, ... that's totally unreasonable.

They seem to know enough to argue/criticize when they get a reply!

In case you're wondering: No, I don't know enough about the multitude of techniques floating around.

Maybe a better idea would be to create a list of techniques that should be acceptable to (almost) everyone wanting a solution without guessing. My next message in this thread will contain my initial nominations to this list.
daj95376
2014 Supporter

Postby daj95376 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:08 pm

My nominations for a list of techniques that should be acceptable as not guessing. I deliberately left out some techniques because I felt they should be nominated by others.

Subsets: Naked/Hidden Singles/Pairs/Triples/Quads
Line/Box, Box/Box, Locked Candidates (1&2)
Basic Fish: X-Wing, Swordfish, Jellyfish ... as a class
XY-Wing, XYZ-Wing
Finned Fish: ... as a class
Uniqueness Rectangles/Tests: ... as a class
BUGs: ... as a class

Note: I'm looking for nominations that should appeal to the masses ... not you pet technique that you feel should be accepted.

Now it's your turn.
daj95376
2014 Supporter

Forget it

Postby QBasicMac » Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:07 am

We can't even get the sticky changed to say that all queries regarding how to solve a puzzle are to be posted in this forum. It still says to post according to where the puzzle came from.

Lot's of luck getting a sticky to explain details of how to specify what kind of answer one wants.

Anyway, nobody reads stickies.

Just do you best to answer the OPs question in accordance with your personal taste and let the flamers be damned!

(Actually, I haven't seen any such threads, but I guess they exist or this topic wouldn't have come up.)

Mac
QBasicMac

Postby daj95376 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:58 am

Yes, a terrible idea on my part. I get these wild ideas at times and should just take a nap until they pass. My apologies to everyone about starting this thread. Let's let it die mercifully here!!!
daj95376
2014 Supporter

Return to Help with puzzles and solving techniques